What to do with Sankes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberwollf

Reaction score
So we all know that stealing kegs is bad.... I just took over the beer responsibility in an organization and there is about 5 empty sankes in the kegorater, I need to get rid of them to make room for the full kegs im buying today.... Noone seems to have any paperwork or know where they were bought from???

In my past life im guilty of buying a keg off craigslist to make a keggle. people are basicly stuck with the kegs, if you dont have the paperwork or they are too "old" the distributor wont take them back. Its really the brewery that is getting screwed, but if you cant get the depot back what ARE you supposed to do? Drive a few hundered miles to a BMC brewery and drop their keg off in the parking lot?? :)

I say if they wont take the keg back and you lost the deposit those are your kegs now.

So we all know that stealing kegs is bad.... I just took over the beer responsibility in an organization and there is about 5 empty sankes in the kegorater, I need to get rid of them to make room for the full kegs im buying today.... Noone seems to have any paperwork or know where they were bought from???

In my past life im guilty of buying a keg off craigslist to make a keggle. people are basicly stuck with the kegs, if you dont have the paperwork or they are too "old" the distributor wont take them back. Its really the brewery that is getting screwed, but if you cant get the depot back what ARE you supposed to do? Drive a few hundered miles to a BMC brewery and drop their keg off in the parking lot?? :)

I think you have to, at the very least, make an honest effort to return them. I'm not saying drive to the north end of our capital city, but make contact with the owner of the distributor. Tell him your situation. If the distributor doesn't want them, I'd have no problem keeping them for maybe a fermenter or a spare keggle or giving them to a fellow brewer. Notice I said give not sell. IMO, it'd be wrong to sell them. I think that's how I'd handle it, YMMV

I think you have to, at the very least, make an honest effort to return them. I'm not saying drive to the north end of our capital city, but make contact with the owner of the distributor. Tell him your situation. If the distributor doesn't want them, I'd have no problem keeping them for maybe a fermenter or a spare keggle or giving them to a fellow brewer. Notice I said give not sell. IMO, it'd be wrong to sell them. I think that's how I'd handle it, YMMV

Its kinda sad that we have to go through that much trouble to "do the right thing" Since its the brewery that is hurting, you'd think (in their interest) they'd have some sort of system to get their >$200 kegs back....

This situation is the main problem i have with keg deposits and brewery rights to kegs. If i have a keg, and the distributor says they won't take it, then that keg is mine. It's the breweries responsibility to make sure the distributors get their kegs back. I shouldn't have to go any further than idid to get the beer to return the keg.

Call me immoral or what, but it's complete BS otherwise. If i am stuck with a keg that says miller on it. If i go to a distributor that sells miller, they should give me the deposit back. If not, the brewery loses, because it's my keg then.

I'd say they're yours. I spent 2 years looking for the legal kegs I found. They were almost brand new and left behind when the bar closed. A quick call to the local liquor control office and another to the distributor confirmed they had been considered abandoned by the brewery and they were all mine. In the end I'm glad I jumped through the hoops but it was a serious pain. I'm still on the waiting list for a couple of the local breweries to pick up kegs from them once they deem them unusable and plan on selling them.

Well....if you're taking over the beer responsibilities....keep them there, and fill them with homebrew. No harm no foul.

Why can't you use these kegs as the deposit on the kegs you are buying? You said they are sankeys so a shell is a shell. Out of the last 20 kegs I bought only one had a shell to match the brew inside it. As far as paperwork, I never have any and never have any problems but I am not trying to get cash back. I hope you get new lines for your 'responsibility'.

-cheers

Yeah, I have had an empty Sanke for years.... On the rare occasion, BIG party, I will get a keg of beer from the liquor store.... they always let me use my old keg as a deposit on the new one...

I just took over the beer responsibility in an organization and there is about 5 empty sankes in the kegorater, I need to get rid of them to make room for the full kegs im buying today.... Noone seems to have any paperwork or know where they were bought from???

You shouldn't need the paperwork unless you're trying to get cash for the kegs. Since you're buying new kegs, simply bring the shells in instead of paying the deposit. I've never seen a liquor store that asked or cared where the kegs came from, they just need something to give to their distributor. I've even used a 1/6 bbl keg shell as a deposit for a 1/2 bbl keg. The distributors and keg handling services will get the kegs back to the correct breweries.

In Ohio, we buy our kegs from the distributor not a L store. The two distributors in my town absolutely require receipt of purchase/proof of deposit or you're out of luck.

In Ohio, we buy our kegs from the distributor not a L store. The two distributors in my town absolutely require receipt of purchase/proof of deposit or you're out of luck.

I bought it on base. So they actually need the guy to bring the keg in that bought it, (if the previous guys even got the keg from base)

I bought it on base. So they actually need the guy to bring the keg in that bought it, (if the previous guys even got the keg from base)

The class six out here (cannon) will take them w/o reciept, you just get an AAFES gift card instead of cash, that you can then use on another keg.

Latest posts

Back