First Beer of The Day Tastes like Windex

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorporateRP

Reaction score
Not quite home-brewing yet, but working on it. First step I choose was to set up a kegerator.

I have a four tap system that I've been using for parties, but it usually run them through coolers, with kegs on ice for the night. The beer sits in the lines max 12 hours, but I've rinsed all components the next day (tap water only though). I've probably had about 25 1/2 barrels go through the lines.

Anyways, so I decided to get a fridge and use two sets to make a two-tap kegerator. Got it set up, hooked up a Kona 1/4 barrel and DFH 60 minute 1/4 barrel. Took a few days to get the temperature and pressure right (38' & 12 psi for my tastes) - but I got it. But I have to throw away at least one beer everyday I choose to have a drink.

The first and maybe even the second pint has a pronounced Windex finish that is unbearable. Closer to bitter than sour. Like soap. But it is only that beer or two. Once they start flowing everyone's happy. Both beers have the same taste for those first few beers. These are the same components I used for my party kegs, but none ever had this taste.

Any suggestions? I thought it was a temperature differential skunking the first 12" or so of beer from the tap, but I just don't know.

open

3/16ID-7/16OD PVC beer hoses, clear

Glassware - Maybe, let me try a fresh glass... nope, tastes fine. FYI, I had to pour out two pints today to drink one, and this taste was in a little rocks glass from the same dishwasher load.

I'm not really trusting my math skills at the moment, but 3/16" ID hose at 38' would contain 6.9 oz of beer that is being left in pvc hose. That could be the off taste you are experiencing.

The lines are only 5' or so... but should I just go ahead and replace the hoses since they are cheap enough?

I'd recommend getting some good beer line. There is a thread floating around here somewhere about the "best" beer line (without plastic taste).

I forget the name of my line, but it's very common. (It's my memory that is bad). It costs more, but it means never tossing a beer that has been in the lines. It's also a PITA to work with to get on the barbs and stuff.

Someone else will remember the name, I'm sure.

While you're at it, increase the length of the lines too if they need it, so you can serve highly carbed beers without foaming.

Accuflex Bev-Seal. When I switched to it from the standard Bevlex lines, all my off-flavor issues went away! Like Yooper says, it's a bit of a PITA to get the barbs on, but once they're on, they're ON.

Accuflex Bev-Seal. When I switched to it from the standard Bevlex lines, all my off-flavor issues went away! Like Yooper says, it's a bit of a PITA to get the barbs on, but once they're on, they're ON.

I think it's "ultra" accuflex or something, even. You'll find it.

The thing is, since it's barrier tubing you'll need longer lines because of less resistance. Mine pours well at 10', but I could have went even longer for higher carb levels.

I think it's "ultra" accuflex or something, even. You'll find it.

The thing is, since it's barrier tubing you'll need longer lines because of less resistance. Mine pours well at 10', but I could have went even longer for higher carb levels.

Yep, that's the stuff. I have 10' lines as well, which is just about perfect for 2-2.5 volumes in my system.

Both kegs drained but new Accuflex Ultra has been ordered. I'll be getting new kegs next week and I'll post back then.

Accuflex arrived fast, unfortunately getting a hold of 11/32" stepless ear clamps took awhile. Plus I had to deal with my own wedding in the past few weeks, so kegs have been on hold... BUT NO LONGER.

Read up on how to get the line on the barbs, luckily my wife had a heat gun already, so we were able to quickly switch from the slow boiling water method. Once I got the lines set I tried to slide on the ear clamps and guess what - too small. Oh well, seals seem tight enough so far, none of them even rotate about the barb, so I can handle.

Test runs on the Sam Adams and Two Hearted have been relatively successful, now that the temp has settled back to 38D. Ran 10' long lines with 12 psi. Sam A is good but Two Hearted tastes a little sweet, first pint that is. Haven't had a second pint yet.

Thanks for your help. I'll post back more observations later.

Latest posts

Back