Sierra nevada torpedo clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice....report back if you do the torpedo clone from AHS.

From some post I saw it sounded like the AHS clone didn't use any citra hops which is what is supposed to set the torpedo apart, but I have not got that one from AHS, so I cannot confirm nor deny those alligations. Regardless I am sure the AHS clone is great.

From some post I saw it sounded like the AHS clone didn't use any citra hops which is what is supposed to set the torpedo apart, but I have not got that one from AHS, so I cannot confirm nor deny those alligations. Regardless I am sure the AHS clone is great.

Ok - so just bought the AHS clone for Torpedo. Plan on harvesting yeast from an Irish red ale I have brewing, then doing this recipe. If I push it, I might get to it this weekend, but that all depends on whether the fermentation is done or not.

Will post back when I start the clone, etc.

Note: If the citra hops aren't in the clone I will let you know, and, will be ordering whatever I need to complete the BYO clone recipe instead.

It was cheaper to buy the clone in a package than piece part out the BYO recipe.

Haven't started this yet (got it last night). However, there are citra hops in this kit, and from a quick glance it looks like it is similar to the BYO recipe, though I will have to compare them fully later. I also upgraded my brewpot, so I was busy with that last night, cleaning and boiling to get it ready for an amarillo IPA brew session tonight.

Anyway, should be starting this Torpedo kit this weekend or so. It has a bunch of hops in it, so that is always a good sign.

That sounds good! So does your Amarillo IPA. Your Torpedo should be ready to drink just about when I'm ready to brew mine. Post your results.

I will do.

The amarillo IPA is too good. Fastest keg I have kicked yet (less than two weeks). Must just be made for my palate :)

I am going to break off from the torpedo kit instructions in a couple ways:
1. 50% LME at the start and 50% LME at the 15-20 minute mark.
2. 3.5 gallon steep of specialty grains and 1.5 gallon ghetto collander sparge at 170F.
3. Starter for the yeast
4. 10 minute wait at flameout, then chill.
5. 3 week primary, dry hop 2 weeks secondary, then keg.

If that plan changes I will update, but that is my current method to my madness.

I just got back from the LHBS and got all of my ingredients. I can't wait to try this recipe this weekend.

tcorry- I was wondering what changes you would make...if any?

Well, first off I have really enjoyed this one as is. It is solid. My next go round I think I am going to tinker with the steeping grains and maybe add some munich malt. Maybe .5 - 1 lb. I am going to try to make this IPA over and over with some minor changes until I get it where I want it. In the future I might add some DME to it and up the hops a touch, but for now I like it enough to just add some steeping grains.

I have even toyed with the idea of adding munich and carafa III (dehusked) to the steeping grains and make this a Black IPA. I am loving me some Laughing Dog Dogzilla right now.

Kbho68, let us know how yours turns out!!!

I am going to have to brew this again soon, my keg has taken a beating, it can't have much left in it.

I'm thinking I may try this myself, as my first brew without a boxed recipe kit. I have some Wyeast 1272 American Ale yeast I want to reuse from a Black IPA. Thoughts on using that yeast for this?

It is driving me crazy to wait - have an Irish Red Ale with 1056 ale yeast that i need to grab the yeast from for the torpedo clone. I am hoping next week at the latest for the AHS clone.

Tcory77
I know the AHS clone as 9.5lbs of LME, so there is definitely a stout ABV. I keep forgetting to compare the AHS clone to the BYO, but when I do I will post back. I got busy when I bottled a bunch of cider and beer this weekend. The Stone Arrogan Bastard clone is really good.

I actually just killed my first 10 lb co2 tank!! Guess I am producing well....

I'm thinking I may try this myself, as my first brew without a boxed recipe kit. I have some Wyeast 1272 American Ale yeast I want to reuse from a Black IPA. Thoughts on using that yeast for this?

I brewed this on sunday using that yeast. My LHBS told me that it would work great for this recipe. I was going to use the 1056 but it was old. The primary took off in less than 6 hours and has been crazy active ever since. I will know how it tastes in a few weeks.

I actually just brewed the AHS Yorpedo kit last night - so now the waiting game....

I brewed this one yesterday, although I used the all grain recipe from a magazine. (Thanks CidaMastah)

Here is the recipe I used:

16lbs pale malt
1lb C60
1.5oz 14% Magnum hops (90)
1oz Magnum (5)
1oz Crystal (5)

Dry hop (will do this when the time comes in about a week and a half)
.5oz Magnum
.75oz Crystal
.75oz Cascade (couldn't get Citra)

safale us-05

OG: 1.078

Mashed at 152 for 60'
Boiled for 90'

I upped the Pale malt bill by 2lbs in fear of my efficiency being too low, but my gravity ended up a little high. I probably should have used 15 instead of 16#.

The recipe called for 1.2 oz of Magnum for 60', but I upped it to 1.5 and boiled for 90' since it was supposed to be a 90' boil. The IBUs weren't adding up correctly, so that's why I boiled for 90 and used more.

The brew is in my 6.5 gallon carboy and it's fermenting like crazy about 18 hours later, this promises to be pretty good, though a little stronger than expected.

Very cool - DO post how this turns out. I have an extract batch that will be done in a few weeks, but I am also getting a giant grain order in (8 bags), so I am going to be doing a torpedo batch soon for sure. I have some washed yeast that needs to get used up!

Just wanted to chime in, I subscribed to this thread and am as antsy about the results as you guys are. Can't wait to hear what turns out best!

Just wanted to chime in, I subscribed to this thread and am as antsy about the results as you guys are. Can't wait to hear what turns out best!

My extract batch should be ready for young tasting march 20 (3 weeks primary, 10 days dry hopping and 1 day carbing). Will let you know!

Edit: Dry hopping will start tonight for 10 days.... almost game time!

My extract batch should be ready for young tasting march 20 (3 weeks primary, 10 days dry hopping and 1 day carbing). Will let you know!

Edit: Dry hopping will start tonight for 10 days.... almost game time!

Have you tried it yet? I'd like to try this extract recipe soon.

No time to go into detail - but the AHS extract kit is GOOD! I haven't done a side by side, but I am really liking it.

I will now be hitting up the AG version from BYO when I get a chance - hopefully it is as good

It is very close to sierras. I just gave 8 or so bottles to my bro - it is his favorite beer so I will keep you posted. However, this is a fantastic IPA to have on tap.

Target O.G. was 1.072, I got 1.069-1.070. F.g target was 1.017, I can't find the sheet where I had written down what I got.

Right now I have a ton of stuff in the pipeline, so it has been keeping me busy (and my brew cellar is a mess). Nothing like having 4 kegs in the kezzer, bottle two, then put two more in, have 4 waiting, and have 2 more coming into action this weekend. Good good stuff! These 10 gallon batches are awesome!

Wish I did 10 of this brew....

FYI - my brother tried this out, he was very impressed. He thinks it is really close and is going to do a side by side with the commercial version tonight (he thinks).

Hey guys - here is the update from my brother for the Austin Home Brew Supply Clone:
Has anyone done the Austin Homebrew Supply All Grain clone? I would be interested to see their recipe.

Bros comments:

"Did the side-by-side comparison on the Torpedo yesterday. It was scary. I was able to duplicate the entire process - both bottles were 6 inches from each other in the garage so they started at the exact same temperature. I poured them into identical mugs nicely frosted from the freezer. I couldn't identify any difference in coloration so I actually had to put a rubber band around the base of one mug to tell them apart. Aromatically, my nose couldn't pick up any noticeable difference. I immediately did a tasting - individually sipping a few times from each with a pause in between and then back-to-back tastings. I tried one after another and then switched. After that I went to the couch and spent the next 40 minutes enjoying them. I wanted to find out what happened as each came up in temperature all the way to nearly room temp. I have to tell you, I could not pick one over the other in a blind test. At times I was convinced your brew was a little brighter but I may have just had that expectation. In my opinion, the clone is every bit as good as the original right down to carbonation level."

Just did a quick comparison of what I think the AHS All grain recipe is. I would assume the hop schedule is the same, so just the grains would be the issue.

BYO vs. AHS
Both recipes place the base grain to specialties ration very close:

BYO:
2ROW - 95.30%
C60 - 4.7%
SRM = 8.5

AHS:
2ROW - 95.05%
*C60 - 4.95%
SRM = 8.4

*I assume C60 is the specialty used from AHS since there are only two grains used in the BYO, 2row and C60.

Now I just need to compare the hop schedule from AHS extract kit to the hop schedule from BYO. I did a full boil for my AHS extract kit.

Hey guys - here is the update from my brother for the Austin Home Brew Supply Clone:
Has anyone done the Austin Homebrew Supply All Grain clone? I would be interested to see their recipe.

Bros comments:

"Did the side-by-side comparison on the Torpedo yesterday. It was scary. I was able to duplicate the entire process - both bottles were 6 inches from each other in the garage so they started at the exact same temperature. I poured them into identical mugs nicely frosted from the freezer. I couldn't identify any difference in coloration so I actually had to put a rubber band around the base of one mug to tell them apart. Aromatically, my nose couldn't pick up any noticeable difference. I immediately did a tasting - individually sipping a few times from each with a pause in between and then back-to-back tastings. I tried one after another and then switched. After that I went to the couch and spent the next 40 minutes enjoying them. I wanted to find out what happened as each came up in temperature all the way to nearly room temp. I have to tell you, I could not pick one over the other in a blind test. At times I was convinced your brew was a little brighter but I may have just had that expectation. In my opinion, the clone is every bit as good as the original right down to carbonation level."

Just did a quick comparison of what I think the AHS All grain recipe is. I would assume the hop schedule is the same, so just the grains would be the issue.

BYO vs. AHS
Both recipes place the base grain to specialties ration very close:

BYO:
2ROW - 95.30%
C60 - 4.7%
SRM = 8.5

AHS:
2ROW - 95.05%
*C60 - 4.95%
SRM = 8.4

*I assume C60 is the specialty used from AHS since there are only two grains used in the BYO, 2row and C60.

Now I just need to compare the hop schedule from AHS extract kit to the hop schedule from BYO. I did a full boil for my AHS extract kit.

Wow, that's awesome. I may need to make that my next batch.

Now, to finally follow up on my AG batch. After 2 weeks of primary, I transferred to secondary and added dry hops as described earlier:

.5oz Magnum
.75oz Crystal
.75oz Cascade (couldn't get Citra)

After only a week, I was out of all other beers in the kegerator so I kegged this rather than waiting another 1-2 weeks to let it clarify. While kegging, i took a gravity measurement and I was shocked to see it at 1.010. Basically, this brought the beer to about 8.6% alc, which is certainly stronger than the commercial beer, but still very very good.

In a side by side, I'm sure the two would taste a bit different, but like I said, it is still very good. I am very happy overall, and I will definitely make it again.

Drank a few too many the other night and was surely reminded the next morning.

Prolific - I bet with the citra you would be on for the clone. Your grain bill was different than the BYO recipe (you had upped it). Did you keep it in the same ratio as I noted above?

I am thinking the cascade is what threw off your absolute "clone" taste. Those citra are unreal in dry hopping flavor. I used .25 oz I had left over in a pale ale, and it was awesome.

Just answered my own question:

Prolific's grain bill:
BYO:
2ROW - 94.2%
C60 - 5.88%
SRM = 11

So though small, all those little differences add up ad the end of the day. I think the biggest flavor difference is the hop substitution.

At the end of the day, I don't think any slight variation would produce a bad tasting beer.

Just answered my own question:
At the end of the day, I don't think any slight variation would produce a bad tasting beer.

Exactly. The reason I follow a clone recipe is because I know it is a good start for a very good beer. I'd almost rather my beer tastes a little different just for variety.

I usually don't care too much if the clone matches exactly. However this one I was doing more for my bro. Don't get me wrong, I love the beer, just this is his favorite so a high standard was required. UBU ale is another one I am working on that I haven't made it perfect... all in good time! :)

So i am doing this recipe to the T. The only difference is crystal hops are no where to be found. So i am replacing with German Hallertau with the same AA. I am doing the exact AG specs per BYO/Cidah. I actually spoke with him while buying supplies. I will be brewing Saturday and will comment back. I am super excited about this one.

Enjoy!

I just did another monster hop buy and grabbed a bunch of crystal magnum and citra as well (once I heard from jhenderson about the crystal hops). Figured I better do a big hop buy for my planned brews. I know I will be doing the AG recipe at least a few times this summer :)... among many other recipes!

Now I just need to compare the hop schedule from AHS extract kit to the hop schedule from BYO.

I looked at the hop schedules last night. They are identical between the BYO and AHS extract kit.

So looks like the recipe should produce a "cloned" brew. Post back if you hit the AG version as state on the BYO. I won't be able to brew this for a month or so at least because my brews are all sinked up. Unless I do a couple back to back 10G brews....

Another guy I know, very into the craft brews, grabbed a 6 pack of sierra this weekend and compared to my brew. He said:

"I must say after purchasing torpedo, I think yours is better. It almost had a "fresher" taste IMO. Not that it stopped me from drinking 2-3 of sierra Nevada's version."

Man with all the PR I am getting on this one, I better be able to replicate in an all grain version!

Hit a perfect 1.068. Mash temp started at 154 and over the hour hung at 152*. Smelled great. Brewed it up and came in with 4.8g. Just a tad under 5. Used S-05 and ferm took off quickly. Good krausen and a fantastic hop smell from the airlock. Will keep posted on how it comes out. Depending on time it may be kegged or bottled.

SN torpedo on left. Mine on right. Overall do i dare say mine is more crisp, better head retention, more of a lingering hop and malt taste met with a fantastic aroma up front. Kudos to Cidah, one hell of a recipe!

ForumRunner_20110506_193321.jpg

Late on this but... nice!!

So it can be done with AG as well haha... excellent... (Mr. Burns voice)

I mentioned this in another thread but it may be worth propagating the yeast from the dregs of the Torpedo bottles for a more authentic taste. I did this with SN Kellerweis and it was noticeably different than WLP300.

scoundrel said:
I mentioned this in another thread but it may be worth propagating the yeast from the dregs of the Torpedo bottles for a more authentic taste. I did this with SN Kellerweis and it was noticeably different than WLP300.

Was it just different, or was it more like the real SN Kellerweis?
I have not propagated yeast yet, and I am considering brewing Torpedo.
Also, have you tried it with SNPA? I was just going to use Safale US-05.

Was it just different, or was it more like the real SN Kellerweis?
I have not propagated yeast yet, and I am considering brewing Torpedo.
Also, have you tried it with SNPA? I was just going to use Safale US-05.

I haven't attempted a Kellerweis clone yet but I whipped up two batches of Norther Brewer's Bavarian Hefeweizen as a test. The one with Kellerweis was cloudier and has a hint of spice that WLP300 didn't have. I had a few friends do blind taste tests and the Kellerweis version won every time.

I haven't tried it with SNPA but my understanding is that with the exception of Kellerweis, SN pretty much uses their "house" yeast in all of their beers. That being said, if I harvest yeast for a PA, I'll probably get from their PA and if I do a Torpedo clone, I'll probably harvest from Torpedo bottles. SN has a distinctive taste and I'm sure the yeast contributes to it.

The best part about harvesting yeast is that you get to drink the beer and it produces enough yeast for several batches. It helps keep the cost down.

Back