How do I make a full bodied beer with lots of risidual sweetness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haussparker

Reaction score
I am making a new beer for a friend from Jamaica and I am having trouble getting enough sweetness. I am making a hibiscus ginger beer and I want it to be more like a Mikes lemonade or something equivalent. I know I could use caramelized grains like crystal malts, use malt-dextrin or lactose. I do not want to use lactose so that anyone with allergies can still drink it. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!!

You could use a yeast with a lower attenuation like Windsor to leave the sugars unfermented.

I guess he wants beer because he is making a hibiscus ginger beer and not lemonade.

So other than crystal malts and/or lactose, you can also mash at a higher temp. Maybe try mashing at 156-158F range should leave you with more body and a sweeter finish.

Another possibility is a longer boil and/or more carmelization of the wort.

Yeah the plan is a beer with higher carbonation with a sweetness like a mikes or wine cooler. The hibiscus will be the majority of the flavor profile and the ginger will act as the hops. If I have to use lactose I will and the following recipe I developed has lactose.

What I have so far is as follows:
5gal
5.75gal boil
1.045 OG
1.010 FG
4.59% ABV
3.0 SRM
15min Boil
30 day primary

Grains:
4lbs Rahr 2-row
3.5lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1lb Lactose
.50lbs Clear Candi Sugar

3oz Ginger Root
3lbs Hibiscus approximately 5 minutes before flameout
1pkg White Labs American Lager

45min@158F
10min@168F

5oz Corn Sugar at Bottling

Are you really adding no hops at all?

I think just by doing that it will be perceived as a lot sweeter. That is somewhat similar to a gruit I had yesterday, although that had some other herbs in there too.

I have decided to switch to a sweet mead yeast or a German wine yeast. Both had lower attenuation and promoted fruit flavor off tastes.

Are you kegging or bottling? If kegging, try and get a high OG and add sulfites once it hits 1.04 or so to kill the yeast. Rack and force carb.

the only other answer i know is to mash at a higher temp, and get a less fermentable mash, so the same beer is sweeter

Latest posts

Back