Am I doing twice the work for no reason?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel82

Reaction score
I just got finished soaking some new bottles to get the labels off in some oxyclean free. I've read on here that to get the "oxyclean slick" off the bottles you need water with some acid based solution in it. I used some white vinegar and some water. I was reading Palmer's How to Brew and saw that Starsan is also an acid based sanitizer. If I'm going to sanitize each of my bottles before I add my homebrew am I just adding more work for myself on bottling day by doing the vinegar rinse?

Everyone I'm sure knows bottling day is already a little bit of a chore. I'm just trying to nail down my process to make it as simple and effective as possible.
:mug:

Yes and no. I like clean bottles before I use Star San so I don't get it gunked up because I mix it will distilled water and use it for a couple months. If you are mixing a new batch every time, you could just use the Star San to remove residue. You still have to rinse with water thoroughly after using Oxyclean.

Short answer, no, you should sanitize right before you bottle on bottling day and I don't think you're duplicating effort. I assume you're removing labels and cleaning bottles well before bottling day as a pre-work activity. If you are doing this in two separate activities, cleaning and sanitizing, then I see no harm in what you're doing and would agree its a good practice. But if you're using vinegar right before you sanitize, on the same day, then you're duplicating some effort although I think it is necessary because you do want that oxyclean slick off your bottles before you sanitize and what you're doing facilitates that.

I still sanitize on bottling day despite descaling with starsan on delabelling day. You shouldnever consider cutting corners or scrimping where sanitization is concerned.

You could use the oxyclean to remove the labels, then throw the bottles in the dishwasher without detergent. I've done this for my last couple batches and it works fine. The bottom rack of my dishwasher has about 50 bars sticking up that allow you to fit the bottle upside down onto each of them. The steam will sanitize them. Just make sure they've been scrubbed before they go in.

I am soaking them to remove labels this morning. I do plan on bottling tonight, so it would be in the same day. As I'm taking them out of the oxyclean soak and removing labels, I'm rinsing them with tap water and then taking them over to my vinegar and water mix and doing another rinse. I then let them dry upside down in my dishwasher rack then cover with aluminum foil till I plan on bottling tonight. I will dip them in starsan when its time to bottle tonight. Just wondering if the vinegar rinse is necessary. Not a bit deal just trying to be efficient.

I'm just hesitant about my dishwasher because it's an appartment dishwasher and wasn't working well when we moved in. It still doesnt do a good job of cleaning dishes so don't use it. I know it would be to sanitize and not clean, but I have starsan so I plan on using it anyway.

I've never tested it, but I've always wondered though if "descaling" with starsan doesn't somehow change the ph, or the chemical components of the sanitizer, and maybe render in neutralized somehow. Personally I wouldn't want to risk it. If I were doing it all on the same day I personally would fill one side of a double sided sink with dilluted starsan to de-scale, then rinse that off in the other sink, THEN sanitize as I normally would using my vinator.

Yea I gotta get me a vinator. I'm just dunking them with starsan and have them sitting upside down in my dishwasher waiting their turn to be bottled.

Back