bucket - explode or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afsjoiwejio

Reaction score
I got 2nd degree burns last night on my upper leg / pelvis from boiling water I had "sealed" in my bucket, but the pressure was too much so the water leaked onto me, which really sucks and I have skin blisters, broken skin, etc.

Based on this experience, I conclude that my bucket lid will allow pressure out just fine. So I left my IPA in the bucket with the lid on nearly as tight as when this happened to me, hoping it does not explode over the weekend while I am away. Just in case, I put it underneath a protective sheet so the explosion won't mean my poor beer is truly exposed to the elements.

The vessel is a 25L Young's fermentation vessel, and there are about 19 liters of wort in there.

When I get home 2.5 days later, will I be facing a sea of IPA all over my apartment, or will a somewhat leaky lid solve this problem?

And, I just answered my question by finally reading a japanese language description of the bucket. I couldn't find this anywhere online in English:
http://www.amy.hi-ho.ne.jp/brew/equipment.html#fermenter

It says the bucket is DESIGNED to let gas out, so I don't need an airlock. Screams of pain from last night / happy my apartment will not explode in my absence.

Thanks for the sympathies.

I have to figure out some way to avoid this in the future... maybe switch to a sanitizer I would be comfortable not rinsing afterward with boiled water, or cool off the water before rinsing.

I always drink too much on brew days and would never trust myself with having to move boiling liquid around. Hell, I almost burn myself during hop additions!

A good soft sponge and soap cleaning followed by a starsan soak is all I do and I haven't had any infections since I started that routine.

Sorry to hear about your burns. Hope they heal up to 100% quickly.

What kind of sanitizer were you using that you had to use boiling water?

Thanks for the sympathies.

I have to figure out some way to avoid this in the future... maybe switch to a sanitizer I would be comfortable not rinsing afterward with boiled water, or cool off the water before rinsing.

I use StarSan as a sanitizer and have no concerns about rinsing afterwards. I wouldn't transfer very hot water to a plastic vessel because I don't like moving boiling liquids around (for reasons you understand very well right now) and also because you can damage the fermenter. Hit it with a StarSan solution, cool it before transferring to your fermenter, no more skin grafts.

Hope your wounds recover well dude!

Back