Octoberfest lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdawg

Reaction score
I am already getting excited about Octoberfest! I think I am gonna order Northen Brewer's Octoberfest Extract Lager kit.

My questions are how early can I brew this? Can I do it now or should I wait til summer. I do have a keg that I can seal it up in and space in my fridge.

Thanks!

P.S. If I do seal it up in the keg...do I keep c02 on it or just top it off with c02 and disconnect it?

An Oktoberfest beer is actually called a Marzen, because it's brewed in March for drinking during Oktoberfest. So, you're late! :D

A couple of tips for a good lager- make a HUGE starter (more yeast than you think you'd ever possibly need), ferment at 48-50 degrees for about 2 weeks, then raise the temperature to 60 for 48 hours. Once you're at FG, rack to the keg and lager at 34 degrees if possible for at least a week for every 8 points of OG. For a 1.068 lager, that would be 8 weeks minimum.

Latest posts

Back