1 gal. short in a 5 gal car boy when racking to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowjerk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I made a 4 gallon batch of welch's wine in a 5 gallon bucket and now I'm racking to the secondary but the car boy is 5 gallons, leaving me a bunch of air in the car boy. Should I fill it up with water or something or is it OK to leave as is?

Does it still have a good amount of CO2 in it? If so, rack it and the CO2 might create a protective layer. However, you may want to do what you can to bottle it as soon as it is clear.

Fill it with something solid or with wine. Don't fill it with water. People use marbles (aquarium safe). You are going to have a lot of room, because you will probably only get 3.5 gal. out of the original 4. You could get a 3 gal. carboy and a 1 gal. jug. Some people leave the room then flush with an inert gas like argon.

Added a 4 liter bottle of chardonnay to it and crossed my fingers. I think that can only improve the Welch's wine :D

I would have racked to a three gallon carboy, with a one gallon jug as the second fermenter. You always want to "match" the batch size to the carboy in secondary, but topping it up with wine is fine also!

It's my first batch and I'm learning a lot. My next batch will hopefully match the secondary when I rack it.

Back