Guacamole...simple fresh and delicious.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So I've been making this for a few years. I get asked to bring it pretty much everywhere I go so I figured I'd share with my brethren.

Now I do this all by taste and I encourage you to do the same. The key to this recipe are the ingredients. It is a little labor intensive but well worth it in the end.
Here are the base ingredients; makes enough for a large party:

5 medium avocados- (Make sure they are firm but that they give some when you press on the flesh at the store. They need to be a little firmer because you want them to stand up to the mixing well.)
3 medium tomato's deseeded and chopped
1/2 medium red onion chopped (I've used as much as a whole medium and it was great)
1 Jalapeno diced- (seeded if you don't want it hot!) or any other pepper that you may like.
1/2 tsp cayanne pepper
1/2 tbsp Garlic salt
1 tsp Lawry's seasoned salt
Fresh cracked black pepper(use a lot)
1/2 of a lime's juice(fresh)
Cilantro for garnish

That's it. Mix and taste until you get your desired flavor. All measurements are guestimated.

Another good recipe for mexican dishes is the following

1 medium yellow onion halved and sliced thinly

2 sliced yellow peppers roasted and deseeded (unless you like it really hot)
Juice of 4 lemons (fresh squeezed)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

throw this all together in a dish at least one day before the dinner. The longer it sits the better it gets. Keeps for up to 5 days. this is great on Fajitas or Carne Asada; just spoon it on!

Dan

MMMmmm Love the fresh guac! that is very similar to my recipe but I use a nice dose of cumin as well. It gives it a very authentic mexi flavor! serve with some fresh still warm corn tortilla chips hot out of the fryer with a little salt.

drool...

HHmm. I might do mexican tonight. shredded chicken enchiladas with verde green chili sauce. Dear lord why is it only 9:30 in the morning and not 5:00 PM so I could start cooking...

cumin would be a good addition. This is a great base recipe..you fine tune it to your tastes like a good beer recipe and you are set to go.

Another use for the lemon pepper salsa is to use it for ceviche. Throw a good whitefish , I use tuna, and let it sit for a day or so and devour!

Dan

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Yeah, I know. Just making the point that plain avocado and salt make a dang good dip.
Avocado and about anything make a good dip:D
I mash it up and spread it on bread to use instead of mayo on my sandwiches. growing up in Socal, you really have to love the avocado...it's in everything in California.

Dan

Mine is similar, but i chop 2 cloves of garlic and about 2/3s bunch of cilantro and blend it all in there . Freaking GREAT!

Reverend JC said:
Mine is similar, but i chop 2 cloves of garlic and about 2/3s bunch of cilantro and blend it all in there . Freaking GREAT!

The cilantro really adds dimension to guac. To keep the stuff from totally turning brown if it's going to be out for awhile, toss the pits back in, and amaze everyone with your mad skillz cuz the guac stays bright green!

I just use avocados, chopped red onion, a clove of garlic, and sometimes some salt/pepper.

Glibbidy said:
To keep the stuff from totally turning brown if it's going to be out for awhile, toss the pits back in, and amaze everyone with your mad skillz cuz the guac stays bright green!

Beat me to it.

Ill have to pass this one along. We are all big fans of guac, homemade especially.

- magno

My wife makes it with minced white onion, cilantro, and seasoning. Sometimes some diced tomato makes it in. But honestly, I haven't met many guacamoles that I didn't like.

In Mexico there is a green salsa which is basically the normal salsa verde blended with avocado...spicy, creamy, and freaking delicious on a taco.

Dude said:
That really works?

Absolutely! It also works if for some strange reason you don't need a whole avacado (like feeding small children). Leave the unused portion of the avacado intact with the pit, and wrap it in plastic wrap. The pit and the plastic actually blocks the O2 from oxidizing the avacodo or guacamole.

The really interesting part about this is that avacados contain the enzyme polyphenol oxidase which acts on the phenolic compounds in the avacado (turning the stuf brown). It's those darn phenols again!:fro:

I've read that it isn't so much the fact that it's an avocado pit... it's the fact that you have something in there that limits the exposure of the guac to air.

This guy made two batches. In one he used pits, in the other he used light bulbs - same result.

Personally, I never have leftovers! I make guac all the time and it gets rave reviews:

Chop 5-6 cloves of garlic.
Dice a small tomato - I often use Roma.
Mash 3 or 4 ripe avocados with the above ingredients.
Add a dash of cumin.
Add salt to taste.
Add lemon juice to taste.

The trick, IMHO, is to achieve a proper balance between salt and lemon. I usually squeeze an entire lemon, but you might want to start with 1/2 of one to allow for adjustments.

Glibbidy said:
The cilantro really adds dimension to guac. To keep the stuff from totally turning brown if it's going to be out for awhile, toss the pits back in, and amaze everyone with your mad skillz cuz the guac stays bright green!

exactly, i pretty much make mine the same way as everyones elses. love the cilantro in it!

Not a fan of yuckamole. Pico de gallo however....goes on EVERYTHING. Simple recipe:

1 Chopped tomatoe (Hot House or homegrown. Slicer tomatoes have no flavor)
1/2-3/4 Chopped white onion
2-3 large jalapenos (de-seeded and finely chopped)
Fresh chopped cilantro to taste
Juice from 1 lime

Chop all ingredients and combine in a bowl, then squeeze the lime onto it and mix well.

Baron von BeeGee said:
In Mexico there is a green salsa which is basically the normal salsa verde blended with avocado...spicy, creamy, and freaking delicious on a taco.

Mexico Version
Guacamole in a Molcajete

2 ripe avocados
6 tomatillos (little green tomatoes)
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion
2 tablespoons of cilantro
serrano chili as desired
salt

Toast the chilis and tomatillos. Grind up the garlic in a molcajete with the salt and chilis. (A molcajete is a rough-surfaced mortar - usually made of volcanic rock - for grinding up spices and vegetables.) Once well ground, add the tomatillos, avocados and grind a little more. To garnish the guacamole, put sliced onion and chopped cilantro on top. Serve immediately.

for the americanized version that i tasted in houston texas at Ruchi's, they substitute the tomatillos for salsa verde(green salsa)

Back