Pale Ale hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Going to brew a Pale Ale this weekend. I really want a bright citrus forward beer so I'm going with Citra hops. I like the Witmer Brothers Blonde that uses these.

Malt:
93% marris otter / 7% Honey Malt

Hops:
FWH .60oz Amarillo
.50oz Citra at 15min
.50 Citra at 10min
.50 Citra at 5 min
.40 Amarillo at 2 min
1oz Citra at flameout

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Looks like it will end up being a tasty pale. The only thing that I would do would be add a dryhop addition. Then you end up getting the full range (profile) that the hops have to offer. Cheers

I was just reading about Citra sometimes being "cat pee" like. I don't know. Should I layer the hops more and add more Amarillo in?

Some people get a cat pee type smell from simcoe and citra, but I never have. If you have Amarillo on hand I would alternate the hop additions and end up adding them both. Either way it should be a tasty brew.

I don't know how bitter you want it. I'd move that Amarillo to either late hop or dry hop. If you still want the same IBU, go with something clean and cheap upfront. I love a rear-heavy hop bill, even to the extreme with no bittering hops used.

Im pretty shure you will love this, I think I love it just looking at it.:) And yes,dryhopping with any of the hops would be a good thing as well. I do think I would go with all amarillo later than earlier since you have more of the citra.That is if you can keep your IBu's ok that way. I love honey malt too. I say go for it but maybe get more amarillo in it by going later with it since you have less.

Back