Free app vs beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff0001

Reaction score
So I recently decided to try the free trial of beer smith. In the past I have used the brew pal app on my iPhone with ok success. The problem is that when I add an ounce of warrior into brew pal it gives me 26 ibus. Beer smith gives me a much lower rating. Any ideas why or should I just go with beer smith

There are several different formulas for calculating IBU's (Tinseth, Raeger, etc) and you can even select which one Beersmith uses. Also I think Beersmith is pretty sophisticated about how it calculates IBUs in cases where gravity changes mid-boil (e.g. late extract addition). Don't know much about brew pal. Also, remember that IBU calculations are just estimations subject to error.

Check your equipment profile. I noticed this when I was playing around with it for the first time today. If you have the wrong equipment profile, it calculates it as a partial batch with top off water, thereby making it an increased gravity wort with much less extract efficiency. Hope this helps.

Also keep in mind that IBUs are just an estimate. In fact, most people can only distinguish in increments of about 5 IBUs.

Beer smith takes into calculation boil duration IBU extraction efficiency, I do not use brew pal so I do not know about them.
IBU Extraction Efficiency – they longer you boil the more Bittering units you pull from the hops. A 60 minute boil does not mean a 100% extraction; at most it would be around 35%. Some think if you boil longer you will extract more – hence 90min boils on IPA’s, - I disagree with this as do other people, but some people will have a difference of opinion. I have tried and tasted and the difference I notice with longer boils on the same recipes is higher Alcohol content. I do not notice a dramatic increase of the Bitterness of the beer. (But again I don’t send my beer in to be tested so I can only go by my taste comparison/ I have no scientific proof)
So this may be why they have different results the efficiency may be set different (or as previous post the Alpha Acids may be listed different)- I know that you can adjust beer smiths AA by editing the ingredient.
In the end I do use and like beer smith, but I also use beer alchemy and I am still comparing both of them, I think I am starting to like alchemy better. (Only reason for this is personal preference, I like the print out of Alchemy for my recipes and batches so I can put them nicely in my brew binder.)

cjones said:
Beer smith takes into calculation boil duration IBU extraction efficiency, I do not use brew pal so I do not know about them. IBU Extraction Efficiency – they longer you boil the more Bittering units you pull from the hops. A 60 minute boil does not mean a 100% extraction; at most it would be around 35%. Some think if you boil longer you will extract more – hence 90min boils on IPA’s, - I disagree with this as do other people, but some people will have a difference of opinion. I have tried and tasted and the difference I notice with longer boils on the same recipes is higher Alcohol content. I do not notice a dramatic increase of the Bitterness of the beer. (But again I don’t send my beer in to be tested so I can only go by my taste comparison/ I have no scientific proof) So this may be why they have different results the efficiency may be set different (or as previous post the Alpha Acids may be listed different)- I know that you can adjust beer smiths AA by editing the ingredient. In the end I do use and like beer smith, but I also use beer alchemy and I am still comparing both of them, I think I am starting to like alchemy better. (Only reason for this is personal preference, I like the print out of Alchemy for my recipes and batches so I can put them nicely in my brew binder.)

You wouldn't notice too much of a difference boiling for 90 minutes. The Iso-acid utilization will only be increased a minuscule amount between 60 and 90 minutes. Are you adding more water to the boil ??? You shouldn't have a more concentrated wort if you are. Also, you can print out a brew sheet from beersmith.

You wouldn't notice too much of a difference boiling for 90 minutes. The Iso-acid utilization will only be increased a minuscule amount between 60 and 90 minutes. Are you adding more water to the boil ??? You shouldn't have a more concentrated wort if you are. Also, you can print out a brew sheet from beersmith.

I agree on the Iso acid utilization, that is why I said I disagree with longer boils adding more bitterness - no I did not add more water to the boil, I compared the exact same recipe just longer boil - so yes it did concentrate the wort - I also know you can print the brew sheet from beer smith, I just like Alchemy’s print out better - I can added pictures of the brew day.

Latest posts

Back