An Idea for A Samuel Adams Summer Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoCoPoboy

Reaction score
6.5# Ger Pilsner
3# Dark Wheat malt
.5# Crystal 10L
Hops
.75oz Hall mitt (60)
.25oz Hall mitt (5)

1oz Lemon Zest at (15 mins)
1g Seeds of paridise (15 mins)

1 whirlfloc tablet

Wyeast #1007

any ideas what yall think?

I'd try to stay with regular wheat malt than the dark. The version I do in the summer is not a dead on clone (but pretty close), but friends say they enjoy it more. Color is pretty much dead on and the citrus comes shining through. Eitherway, it looks pretty close and yours should make a great brew.

5 gallons 75% eff.

4# 8oz 2-row
3# 3oz Wheat Malt
15oz Flaked Wheat
7oz Cara Pils

1.3oz Tettnang (4.8%) 60MIN
.4oz Hallertauer (4.3%) 5MIN

1oz Fresh Lemon Zest (15MIN)
1.8 grams of Grains of Paradise (5MIN)

Mash @ 152 F and I use WLP051 for my yeast. I've also used WLP008, which is supposed to be the SA yeast strain. I liked them both.

I'd try to stay with regular wheat malt than the dark. The version I do in the summer is not a dead on clone (but pretty close), but friends say they enjoy it more. Color is pretty much dead on and the citrus comes shining through. Eitherway, it looks pretty close and yours should make a great brew.

5 gallons 75% eff.

4# 8oz 2-row
3# 3oz Wheat Malt
15oz Flaked Wheat
7oz Cara Pils

1.3oz Tettnang (4.8%) 60MIN
.4oz Hallertauer (4.3%) 5MIN

1oz Fresh Lemon Zest (15MIN)
1.8 grams of Grains of Paradise (5MIN)

Mash @ 152 F and I use WLP051 for my yeast. I've also used WLP008, which is supposed to be the SA yeast strain. I liked them both.

Did you crush the grains of paradise or just use them whole?

msa8967 said:
Did you crush the grains of paradise or just use them whole?

I used a pepper grinder and crushed mine but it is still fermenting so I can't tell u if it was a good idea or not.

I use WLP008 for my summer ale. Sam Adams color is 6 and ibu is 7 if I remember correctly. So its light on the hops. 1oz of lemon is what I use too. Grains of paradise is 2 grams not crushed, that's how I use them anyway.

Back