2 weeks in primary, still at 1.030

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFitch

Reaction score
So my beers been in primary for 2 weeks. I checked it last week and I was at 1.030. Checked it again today and it's still at 1.030. I'm thinking my yeast tapped out. This is my first batch, anyone have any suggestions?

What yeast did you use? What temperature are you fermenting and what was your starting gravity. Unless one of the above is way out of whack, your yeast may have gone on strike and you might need to re pitch.

Did you sample it? Does it taste sweet? And the other questions from above :)

So my beers been in primary for 2 weeks. I checked it last week and I was at 1.030. Checked it again today and it's still at 1.030. I'm thinking my yeast tapped out. This is my first batch, anyone have any suggestions?

Are you using a refractometer or a hydrometer? If a hydrometer have you checked it in water to see if it reads at or damn near close to zero at 60ish degrees?

What kind of yeast did you use? What was your recipe? How old was the yeast?

It's California ale yeast. Temps are around 66-68. Starting gravity was 1.050 and I'm using a hydrometer. Just checked it an it's reading right.

It's California ale yeast. Temps are around 66-68. Starting gravity was 1.050 and I'm using a hydrometer. Just checked it an it's reading right.

How old was the yeast? Do you remember the date from the package? Can you get another packet and try pitching that in? What was the recipe? How much malt and what and how much steeping grains?

It would appear that your fermentation is "stuck" (the yeast has gone dormant). How did you aerate the wort before pitching the yeast, and what temperature was the wort when you pitched? Is this an extract recipe?

To fix the problem, you could try increasing the temperatures into the low 70's for a few days and see what happens. You may have to prepare a new batch of yeast and re-pitch fresh yeast if the activity does not pick up.

ok sorry a long weekend got in my way, but im back on track now. this is an extract recipe, off the top of my head i dont remember the recipe but it had 2 cans of LME in it. when i aerated the wort, i poured it back and for between the bucket and pot a bunch of times. i think my best bet is to repitch. when i do that, do i stir the yeast back in? i dont want to oxidize any thing.

ok sorry a long weekend got in my way, but im back on track now. this is an extract recipe, off the top of my head i dont remember the recipe but it had 2 cans of LME in it. when i aerated the wort, i poured it back and for between the bucket and pot a bunch of times. i think my best bet is to repitch. when i do that, do i stir the yeast back in? i dont want to oxidize any thing.

If you are using dry yeast, rehydrate the yeast in about two cups of warm (80 degree or so) for 15 minutes. Then pour it into your beer. You do not need to stir, but you can stir gently (NO SPLASHING!) Usually I give 1 or 2 gentle swirls with a spoon, being careful not to over - agitate the beer.

If you are using dry yeast, rehydrate the yeast in about two cups of warm (80 degree or so) for 15 minutes. Then pour it into your beer. You do not need to stir, but you can stir gently (NO SPLASHING!) Usually I give 1 or 2 gentle swirls with a spoon, being careful not to over - agitate the beer.

For extra sanitary caution, boil the water first and then add your yeast to it when it is between 95F and 105F (this is the recommended rehydration temperature for US-05, if I remember correctly- don't quote me. Look that up, it may be different for your yeast- should be on the package). Rehydrating at an incorrect temperature completely defeats the purpose of rehydrating in the first place.

if you have not repitched you can try giving your fermenter a gental swirl to kick up the yeast i have read that this works sometimes i have not tryed it as my frist beer(still in Prim) finished in 2 days @65 now its chillen at 61-63 for the remainder of its 2 week stay in the prim

Rather than just pitching some yeast in the fermenter, get a 1 liter starter going and pitch 12 to 18 hours or when the yeast are churning pretty good. I'd say your beer will pick back up in just a few hours.

Back