First contamination, can I reuse the bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marius

Reaction score
I had my first contamination after more than 50 batches. I threw away every plastic element that stayed in contact with the infection. But I am still worried about the bottles.

I cleaned them concienciously, with water and soap, I will sanitize them prior to bottling next batch. Will this be enough?

Thanks to everyone here.

I had a similar situation after about 30 batches and realized that the bottles themselves caused the infection. I recyced all my bottles and started kegging. If you don't want to do that, i would strongly recommend an overnight PBW soak and a bit of scrubbing followed by a star san soak.

You could always fill up your kitchen sink with a bleach water solution and kill two birds with one stone. Add the bottles to fill them up and soak them overnight in the bleach solution. Rinse in the morning and you are set. Your sink will be spotless too.

Back