Kolsh / Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakee117

Reaction score
OK. I am getting ready to do my first big AG batch , basically an Ed Worts batch scaled up to deliver 12 gallons to my primaries.

I made a starter with my Wyeast Kolsch 2565. Boiled 16 oz H2O with 1/2 cups DME. I saw other posts on here that suggest that the smak paks dont inflate with this Koelsch yeast. I confirm viability but no infation as with others that I have used.

Questions:

1) I pitched only one smak pack. Is the above a big enough starter for the batch?

2) I smell sulfur already. Is this normal?

3) How vigorous of a fermentation can I expect? Should I rig for blowout tubes?

Congrats on moving to AG!

What are your specs for the batch, starting gravity in particular. I have made many starters with 2565 and have seen the pack expand rather nicely. How fresh is your yeast? Is it the small or big pack? I'd go for a blow off tube. I've had batches that the gunk from fermentation has gone into the blow off tube and into the bucket many times. I haven't had a sulfur problem with that strain, so can't offer much assistance. For a 12 gallon batch, I would have pitched approximately 2x as much yeast as I would for my normal 5 gallon batches, say maybe 2-3 packs made up with the method you describe.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

The yeast has a manufacture date of Aug 15,2007. I put one pack designed for 100 billion cells in my started and am hoping to grow this to enough for a 12 gallon batch.

OG should be 1.052

jakee117 said:
OK. I am getting ready to do my first big AG batch , basically an Ed Worts batch scaled up to deliver 12 gallons to my primaries.

I made a starter with my Wyeast Kolsch 2565. Boiled 16 oz H2O with 1/2 cups DME. I saw other posts on here that suggest that the smak paks dont inflate with this Koelsch yeast. I confirm viability but no infation as with others that I have used.

Questions:

1) I pitched only one smak pack. Is the above a big enough starter for the batch?

1. It's enough to make a starter out of. Split your starter in 2 for both fermenters.
2. I've never used the Wyeast Kölsch so I can't say for sure, but some odor is normal.
3. Again, I've only used the White Labs Kölsch strain, so take this with a grain of salt. I've never needed a blowoff using this yeast, but if you have the necessary items then you might as well connect it just in case.

jakee117 said:

1) http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php
2) yes
3) you can always play it safe and use one but I didn't find it necessary on my Kolsch style batch with that yeast.

I also noticed that after 12 hours no yeast activity in the starter. Is this normal? I will let it go but when do I decide that I need more yeast?

jakee117 said:
I also noticed that after 12 hours no yeast activity in the starter. Is this normal? I will let it go but when do I decide that I need more yeast?

I have no idea when my batches take off any more...I don't really watch them all that closely. Lag times are influenced by a number of factors (aeration, pitching amount, yeast health, temps, ect) but I wouldn't get too worried @ 12 hours in.

I think you need to get a fresh pack of Kolsch yeast. I have used the Wyeast Kolsch a couple of times and it swelled up right away both times. I had vigorous (and very messy looking) ferments. The results were excellent, though.

I just experienced what you are experiencing with the same worries. My SP did not expand and it made me worry, just a little. I made a starter and it sat for several days with what seemed to be no activity. Then I noticed that there was a ton of yeasties on the bottom of my emf. I pitched into 5.5 gallons and no more than 3 hours later my Kolsch was exploding. I had to put a blow off on and clean up my floor. Smells of sulfer and beer together. After a few weeks the sulfer scent died down and it is now on its way to chillin. I will slowly bring the beer down to about 34 degrees and keep it there until March.

I recently did a Maibok and experieced similar reaction but did not need the blow off. This one won't be ready until May.

-WW

I am think about this Kolsch. Perhaps this strain behaves like a lager strain. I am going to try putting the started in the basement at 62 - 63 F and see if that unsticks the ferment.

I actually did a little research on the Wyeast 2526 Kolsch. It is pretty finickey it appears that it has taken up to 6 days for the starter to BEGIN to ferment! I would certainly never use this yeas if over 3 months old.

Other thoughts:

1) Once my initial starter is consumed ( if it ever starts to ferment). can I continue to add fresh wort 3X or so to build up my cell count for a 12 gallon batch?

when I've used 2565, I keep it above 70F until I see some fermentation, then I drop the temp. The label even states this is the proper way.

I think your yeast is a little beat up...the pouch should swell.

keep at 70F...this is a starter, not beer you're going to drink.

My opinion on waterlocks is that they are way too inadequate to the task. I always use 1/2 inch blowoff tubes. This way you are covered no matter what happens. Water locks are just way too whimpy!!!

I've used 2565 twice now and I think it's great. Never had any fermentation issues and I like to pitch cold ~52-55*F and let it warm up to 60 during fermentation.

If your smackpack didn't inflate, I would've taken it back and gotten a new one. They should all inflate when kept at room temp AFAIK, regardless of the strain.

As for slow starters, is it possible that you just missed the activity? I've had some starters go from a little foam, to peak kraeusen, then flocculate in a matter of hours. Take a gravity reading of the starter if you really want to know.

As far as smelly fermentation, I refer you to this old thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=34373

edit: for momentary retardness

Just picked up white labs Kolsch yeast, going to give it a shot at making a lager style beer with ale yeast, as I've read that's something it's good for.

Latest posts

Back