What is that growing on top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psyklopz

Reaction score
Hi.

This is my 3rd batch. I'm a little worried about a possible infection. Let me know what you think....

This is a Cooper's Canadian Blond.

It was in the primary for 1 week, and now it's been in the secondary (the carboy) for about 3 weeks. Normally I would have bottled by now but I haven't had a chance.

I've noticed it's been nice and clear for about a week now, but today I looked at it, and there were these white things floating on the top of the beer.

Here's a photo (hard to see):
http://imgur.com/z1n15.jpg

The camera flash makes the outside of the carboy look really dirty--but it's not that bad.

They all have a thickening in the center where they are more white, and some thickening sections around the border.

Anyone know if I have to worry about this?

If it is white and foamy/bubbly, it's just co2 escaping and nothing to worry about. I'm having a hard time seeing them clearly enough on the photo.

Here's my attempt at another photo.

It's not CO2 bubbles-- these are distinct little circles that stay in-tact.

http://imgur.com/MW5pU.jpg

I'm thinking about racking into my bottling pail but being careful to not take anything from the top of the carboy...

Maybe I'm insane

I have the same looking stuff in a berliner weisse I have in secondary right now. I've been assuming it was Brett. Have you been playing with sour beers at all?

Hi. There's nothing special in this batch. Just the malt extract and dextrose these only appeared after I lowered the temp in my basement

Looks like a yeast raft, which is yeast hooked on to CO2 bubbles on top of the beer.

If the white circles expand and take over the top of your beer, then it's infected. If it stays the same or the circles break up into smaller shapes, it's just CO2/yeast rafts.

@ReverseApacheMaster

That would explain why they don't just look like bubbles, but also why they break apart like CO2

I think I'll bottle it and just find out that way :)

Back