My IPA Restarted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levandr

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA about 9 days ago. I was going to transfer to the secondary on day 7 when I noticed that fermentation restarted. I am guessing that when the basement cooled a bit, the yeast woke up and finished their job.

So, since ferementation restarted, how long can I leave the brew on the turb? As of last night, bubbling stopped...again. I know that leaving the brew on the turb for 2+ weeks isn't good but since ferementation restarted, does this time also restart? Or, screw it and move it to the secondary now?

You can leave the beer on the primary yeast cake for up to a month without significant worry. If the beer isn't ready, I wouldn't rush it. The best thing to do is take a hydrometer reading and then another in 2 days. If the reading is the same then it's done fermenting, which means it's probably just off-gassing CO2.

Back