55 bottle yield, ya right!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
I have brewed 3 batches, and I have yet to see the proclaimed 55 bottle yield everyone claims, my last was 47. I fill the fermentor to the 5 gallon mark and only take 2 hydro readings. anyone else have this problem?

Well, 128 ounces per gallon is 640 ounces for 5 gallons, which divided by 12 is only 53, and that would be the most. There is always some trub loss so that accounts for some loss. Most I've ever got was 50, but 48 was probably my average

Quality not quantity yeah? That being said I have 2 coolers to bottle condition in soooo 48 bottles is really my max... but my bottle tree only goes up to 45! brew 5, bottle 4.5 will be my plan I think.

I find that with my bottling wand I am filling the bottles a little over 12oz (around 12.5 oz per bottle weighted by pouring a bottle into a glass on a digital scale) and usually get around 52, "12 oz" bottles from ~ five gallons of beer + 16 extra oz from priming sugar.

I tend to shoot for 5.25 gallons so that I end up with ~5 gallons after trub and loss. That being said, I've never gotten more than 48 bottles from a batch (which is my goal).

years ago when i bottled, i expected 52+ bottles/ 5 gallons. then i learned about keggle loss, bottling loss, etc. revvy will step in and bring more wisdom soon

My last batch I got 52 1/3 bottles and left about 1 bottle worth in FV and bottle bucket. That 1/3 bottle tasted great btw.

Reducing trub loss and good racking techniques are the keys, I think. I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag as a hops bag. While the wort is cooling I rinse the bag, then use it as a strainer when I pour the cooled wort into my fermentation bucket. I shoot for 5.25 gallons, and regularly bottle 50 plus 12 oz bottles.

Not sure where you got the 55 bottle number, but my experience has been that I end up with 9-10 bottles per gallon brewed.

I have brewed 3 batches, and I have yet to see the proclaimed 55 bottle yield everyone claims, my last was 47. I fill the fermentor to the 5 gallon mark and only take 2 hydro readings. anyone else have this problem?

Don't switch to 500ml PET bottles, your yield will really plummet!

:fro:

Rick

I got 53 bottles from a 5G batch once. I usually get 48 12oz bottles from a 5 gallon batch. This,even though I strain all going into the FV. This latest pm batch will be 3 weeks in primary tomorrow,got 1L of cold break after topping off with spring water I kept in the garage. It had gotten 70F wort down to 66F very quickly,accounting for the cold break. First time I got that. Gunna get my top off water well chilled from now on.
Interestingly,that 1L of cold break/trub compresed down to less than .5L in no time. So it looks like I'll get my usual low amount of trub loss on bottling day coming up soon. So I do think 48 bottles from 5G is the norm to be expected here...:mug:

Lets see, one gallon = 128 ounces. 5 gallons is 128 x 5 = 640.

So for 5 gallons into 12 oz bottles - 640 / 12 = 53.3333.

So, any less is attributed to trub or equipment loss. I made a diptube for my bottling bucket out of a CPVC threaded elbow so I leave almost nothing there.

I also shoot for about 5.25 gallons so I make up for trub loss. I usually get 53-56 bottles.

Anything to lessen the amount of trub transferred to the fermenter will equal more beer bottled.

That's why I strain all going into the FV. Less trub,more beer,generally speaking. I got some cold break for the first time (any significant volume of it anyway) on this latest pm batch. Still compressed nicely to where the normal number of bottles should be had. Anything to get the most out of a batch is a good thing,process-wise.

for 5 gallond you use 16 oz of water? I am asuming 1 cup of priming sugar also?
I find that with my bottling wand I am filling the bottles a little over 12oz (around 12.5 oz per bottle weighted by pouring a bottle into a glass on a digital scale) and usually get around 52, "12 oz" bottles from ~ five gallons of beer + 16 extra oz from priming sugar.

About 5 oz + or - depending on style. Get your self a cheap scale if you dont have one

Back