LHBS Follies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApothecaryBrewing

Reaction score
I figure everyone has experiences like this. I would hope no one does, but the reality is that most of the hired help doesn't care enough to learn it and spread the knowledge.

Recently went to my LHBS looking for supplies. I was crawling through the hop/yeast fridge trying to find some Nugget hops and the LHBS employee strolls over and asks if he could help me find something.

I pop my head out, "I am just trying to find some Nugget hops for my upcoming brew. do you guys have any left in stock?"

LHBS employee rubs his chin, scans the cooler and looks back at me, "Sorry but we only carry leaf and pellet hops. I can call the other store if you want to wait?"

"Oh, it's a variety... like Amarillo or Cascade." Face-palm!

After much digging through the cooler I finally found some and had the employee ring me up. He didn't say much during the transaction and I can only hope the next time I show up there, the staff working knows more about beer than just the fact that it is carbonated alcohol.

So... what are your stories?

It seems like every time I go to my LHBS they are out of Cascades. Frustrating when your house ale is a cascade APA!

I went to get some lactose for a milk stout... of course the one time i need some the shelf was empty so I went to ask the owner if he had lactose.... he snarls and says "nope, I ain't got any lactose in... I've had it in all year and now all of sudden everyone wants lactose." That was the end of the conversation and I thanked him greatly for the help lol. Thankfully it is not my go to LHBS!

It seems like every time I go to my LHBS they are out of Cascades. Frustrating when your house ale is a cascade APA!

Do you have a local shop in oxford or do you drive down to Cincinnati? If so which store was it?? My great experience was Listermann's

Back