gelatine and dry-hops Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatepickingnames

Reaction score
Ive got a pale ale that spent one week in primary and 2 weeks seconday in the keg. It has a some weirdness that i wont get into now. Hiwever, i want to hit it with gelatine to clear it up as its hazy as heck. I also want to dry hop its face off to round it out a bit.

Its chilled 41 degrees and is flat. Should i DH and gelatinize at tbe same time? Im in no rush on this one since i have 10 gal of one of my favs right next to it. How long should i wait to gas it up?

There are two schools of thought on this, as far as I've seen. First is dry-hop after fining with gelatin. Your beer will probably still have a little bit of hop particulates floating around, but you'll get exactly what you intend (or at least, what you performed) from your dry-hop. The second is dry-hopping before gelatin. You might lose a little bit of the flavor by fining after dry-hopping, but your beer will be clear. Hope this helps.

Cool. Post some pics when you're done if you feel like it, I just used gelatin for the first time on my Amarillo Pale Ale and am curious how yours is going to turn out. I went the other route and dry-hopped for three days, crashed for two, added gelatin two days ago and am still waiting for some of the floaty hops to sink to the bottom. I figure another day or two and I'll rack out. I used about a tablespoon and a half of gelatin to about twelve ounces of hot water, from the sounds of it that should have been plenty.

Back