Silly Emergency Liquid Thermometer issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetbs

Reaction score
Howdy,

So I'm all set up with my wort in my bucket, but I am using Munton's IPA Bitter and 2lbs of DME. With this I needed to boil about 14 cups of water, throw that in the bucket with the extracts and stuff, then I filled the rest up with room temp water.

Is this why my liquid themometer is still completely black after 45 minutes of waiting? I know I need the temp between 65-70 before I can pitch the yeast or take my OG. Should I still be panicking like I might be, or settle down because the temp is understandibly high due to room temp water + boiling water...

Also, I currently have the top on the bucket and the airlock in place.

-Worried first timer

PS. I might not be relaxing, but I'm certainly having craft beer atm

ok, it's sitting in my tub in cool water... no change. When do I seriously get to worry that I still haven't pitched my yeast (2+ hours now)

Your beer is fine.. let it rest a few hours so that your sure its cool. Your thermometer might be out of whack. Pitch later. I routinely cool to 80 or so and put in a tub of cold water. The. I just pitch the next morning which is usually 8 hours or so. No problems.

pitch below 80. till then, keep refreshing with cool water. Drive to the store, get some ice. Stop worrying. Why your there, go to the kitchen isle, get a thermometer. sanitize it and use it.

How hot does the thermometer read? Did you add 7qt of boiling wort to about 3.25G to get it up to 5g? If so, it should be really cool if not cold. If you touch the wort can you feel that it is worm through the bucket? Also if you put the air lock on it and it's hot, you can let it go for about 8-12h, assuming proper sanitation.

BTW, did you make a starter or are you using dry yeast?

How hot does the thermometer read? Did you add 7qt of boiling wort to about 3.25G to get it up to 5g? If so, it should be really cool if not cold. If you touch the wort can you feel that it is worm through the bucket? Also if you put the air lock on it and it's hot, you can let it go for about 8-12h, assuming proper sanitation.

BTW, did you make a starter or are you using dry yeast?

I added approx. 14 cups of boiling water (3.5 Liters). The wort seems warm, but that is either true or just in my head. Should be very properly sanitized, I was pretty nervous and careful.

I haven't put in the yeast, so i guess I haven't created a starter for my yeast. It is dry, the stuff that came with. I was figuring on just throwing it on top when its at a reasonable temp. I'm willing to wait until I wake tomorrow, and I'll now throw it back in the tub and someone is gonnna drive me for some ice (not able :ban: )

Oh and the temp is blank, since the reader is not on any temp. But it tops off at 82 degrees.

Oh, so it could be 83 degrees. Also, sorry about that... I thought you said 14 pints of water, which would be 7qt, Yea, don't create a starter for dry yeast, you shouldn't need it. I would wake up tomorrow and check the temp again. It will be fine.

I assume you are talking about a sticker thermometer on the side of your fermenter. It is completely normal for it to take hours to cool down to pitching temp. You can either just let it sit tonight and pitch in the morning, or fill your tub with ice and water and stick the bucket in it. Either way ensure that you put lid on with your airlock and fill the airlock with water. Adding room temperature water to boiling wort is nowhere near enough to get down to pitching temp in a short amount of time. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back