Building a bar this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingRob

Reaction score
So, I'm putting a bar together this weekend. It's going to be very simple in that I do not want to serve behind it. I'm toying with the idea of making it 48" (4') high just for ease. Has anyone ever tried a 48" high bar? FWIW, Walmart sells one.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wildon-Home-Tiller-48-Bar-Table-in-Black/12334436

But 48" seems too high. Any actually ever build or use a bar at this height?

I put a bar in my kitchen during a remodel, and had to make it 48" because of where it was at. We thought it was going to be a nice little breakfast bar. After looking for stools for it, we pretty much only use it as a shelf now. It is impossible to find stools that are 36" seat height, unless you want them custom made at a couple hundred bucks a piece.

Good to know. Are there any links on the site for building a free standing bar? I've seen the full pubs. Not going there yet...

I put a bar in my kitchen during a remodel, and had to make it 48" because of where it was at. We thought it was going to be a nice little breakfast bar. After looking for stools for it, we pretty much only use it as a shelf now. It is impossible to find stools that are 36" seat height, unless you want them custom made at a couple hundred bucks a piece.

Ouch

Update: The bar is almost done. I have to put the sides on, the trim on the top, and then apply the finishing. I'll post pics when it's done.

The bar is for drinking (not for serving). There is a top shelf with space reserved for the Irish coffin box upgrade. So, the coffin box has been designed to face out, but since it's detachable, I can always turn it around.

For the height, I discovered that the difference between table, counter and bar height is 6". So, for flexibility, the bar is 36" (counter height), but I put 6" risers on the bottom for my bar height stools. If I decide to get some counter height stools, I can just lower it.

barhp.jpg

Back