Still pretty still new at this....Need some help with a recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfire_studios

Reaction score
I am about 10 batches in and am starting to feel alittle confident with my brewing. I have a fishing trip setup in november and would like to make a batch for the trip to feed a bunch of guys with (family). any ways we do this every year and tend to drink more than fish and this is the first time alot of the people have tried my home brew....anyways I was thinking at making my first attempt at a big beer. Also my brother will be attending and he does not have a taste for good beer so I am going to try to do something that he will drink so I was thinking something light in colour and something that can be accomplished and drinkable by november. (I.E not a Lager probably) I do not know much about brewing big beers and would like a recipe to try it out. Sorry for the n00b questions but I could use some pointers. I am an extract brewer as well if that helps.

any help would be very very good thanks guys.

I'm only replying to this because the title of the thread made my laugh a little.

Everytime I think about upcoming trips and what beers I wanna brew for them, I go with what I know and what I've done plenty of times. This way there will be no surprises and I can anticipate for the most part how it should come out.

I'm not against experimentation or trying new brews at all, but when I've got my families opinion of my brewing abilities on the line I go with something that won't fail.

Oh, also, my first attempt at a big beer was a drastic failure. It wasn't even my attempt but I was helping out a seasoned brewer as we tried to make a custom recipe. I'm sure it'll be ok in about six months but it's swill right now.

I'm yammering on a bit now, too much blackberry wheat, my personal ringer, everyone loves it, but I get to drink it all the time. muahahahhaha.

thats the only problem I am a huge dark beer fan and most of the guys going are not so thats why I was wanting to step outside the realm of safe for this one. I figured if it didn't work out I can just bring a keg of what I have available already.

Josh

You're a dark beer guy and they're light beer beer guys...hmmm. I'm thinking Dunkel Weizen, everyone wins. You could brew it a little strong, but I wouldn't go too strong. Your first time brewing a big beer is probably not best for this sort of occasion. You want your big beer to sit in the basement for a while and drink a bottle every week or two and get to know the nuances it develops over time, a beer to ponder and reflect upon improvements. A big get together calls for a session beer IMO. If you do decide to go for a big beer I would recommend a Triple. They are Fairly straight forward, and should be fairly mature by November.

At least one member on the forum has brewed my Honey Imperial Porter in my dropdown as extract, it would be ready to drink by November as long as you can manage to control your fermentation temps and pitch two packages of US-05 yeast.

thanks I will take a look at that. Dunkel Weizen sounds good two though....I will skip the big beer for this trip and worry about that for the next regular batch. bbrim do you have a good recipe for the dunkel weizen?

Josh

Latest posts

Back