Roasted Barely Steep...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Halter

Reaction score
Trying to make a Honey Brown. On Saturday Morn.

-Using 5 lbs of Pale LME

-1/2 lb of roasted barely

-3/4 quart of liquid honey

-2.5 Ounces of northern (pellets) 60 min.

-1.5 Ounces Haullertauter 30 min.

-1 Ounces Hallertauter 5 min.

Q #1: When Steeping the Roasted Barely... Will a cheese cloth stlye bag be good enought to hold all the grist from the barely, or does anyone think that some of the grist may make it's way out of the Cheese Cloth Bag?

Q #2: When I Used the Grain Mill at the HBS, He had a mill that was simillar to a modified meat grinder. Most of the one you see on the net and around here are the roller pin style. Obviously there must be different effects on the grain grist from different styles of grain mills. The grist is ground up pretty good. It's not dust but it's the first time that I've groung grain. So I'm not so sure of the consistancy that the grist should be. What is the Desired Consistency of Grain Milled Specialty Malt?:mug:

I would think that a cheesecloth bag would not be fine enough for the smaller pieces. How about using a paint strainer bag for a 5 gallon bucket that should be available at a hardware store. They are finer mesh.
As a side note I don't see roasted barley in brown ale recipes as they are more common in a stout.

I've used two plies of cheesecloth for that purpose, and it works just fine. The nylon mesh bags at the LHBS are pretty nice, and you can re-use them.

EDIT: For milled grains, you want the husks cracked and possibly separated, but nothing that even comes close to flour.

The finer the crush the better the efficiency. Of course there is a tradeoff for a fine crush. It is called a stuck sparge.

I crush pretty fine and get some flour along with larger pieces of grain and get
a great efficiency. Sometimes I do get a stuck sparge but when batch sparging
with a SS braid all I do is add a little more water, stir, recirculate and continue
sparging. No worries.

Back