Grain mills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCBrewster

Reaction score
Any reason why homebrew grain mills are like $150 but when you search grain mills on eBay you can get them new for like $27?

Ideally you want something that crushes rather than grinds the malt. Plenty of people use them though.

Oh I see. I would still think you could get the same effect but I could be wrong. I've never done it I'm just looking into getting into all grain

That's an off-brand Corona mill. I have heard of people having issues with the ones that aren't specifically Corona or Victory, but many people use these mills for grain (including Charlie Papazian, IIRC). I have not used one of these myself, but I have heard they take a little fiddling to get the crush right. This should have all the info you need if you want to use one, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/.

The hopper capacity and roller mill sizing/design are the big differences. There's a big difference in milling a few ounces (to a pound or so) of flour versus milling enough malt for a big beer. As is the case a lot of times, you get what you pay for--not to mention, having the right tool for the job saves a lot of time and money in the end.

I'd argue that of all the brewers who have a decent mill (and have dropped the coin for one), not one would regret their purchase. My two-roller Monster Mill has been one of my best brew-related purchases and has done more to shave my brewing costs than anything else. Buying 55 lb. sacks of base malt really brings cost/beer down.

Heck, my LHBS even has one. That, a Monster Mill, and some unknown powered mill (I can't tell what because of the housing). I've never used their Corona mill, because they don't have a hopper for it.

Because you are comparing apples to oranges. The corona style mill you linked is OK, but it was designed to mill grain for bread or cereal (think cream -of-wheat). A brewing mill is much different, look at Crankandstein.net for example. Both work, lots of threads here with details of both types. I'm waiting for a Crankandstein 3D to show up at my front door.

Yeah I guess I could see how in the end it would come out saving you money if you brew enough and buy in bulk. I don't think I'm anywhere close to the 55lb of grains yet haha

Your LHBS can probably crush malt for you. I wouldn't worry about a mill for your first all grain.

Yeah I probably will have them do that. Just a curiosity more than anything!

You go big or go home just kidding but this can save you in the long run of 200 gallons and 1.49 a lbs base grain and a 50 mile trip to "local" Hbs
image-2595566381.jpg

image-1659745571.jpg

You'd use 50 lbs quicker than you'd think. That's only about 5 batches of moderate strength, up to maybe 10 if you only brew lighter session beers (so call it 4-8 on average, depending on your brewing habits), assuming 5-gallon batches. My LHBS charges about half the price per pound for a 50-lb sack, and I figured out that I'd break even before the end of my third bag, so that's a year (if you brew a lot) or three (if you don't) of brewing.

Yeah I'm sure it gets used up pretty quick. I live in an apartment right now so that's not even an option haha

i use a mill like that brewed a stout this morning and i hit 81% efficacy with it. they work but your arm gets tired fast. defiantly look in to a motor for it most use a drill. im looking for a geared motor for mine right now.

So do you just usually buy like 55lb bags of 2row and base malts like that?

I get four #50 of 2 row and/or 6 row Pale malt and four #50 of Pilsen malt for base's. I get a #50 sack of Vienna, Maris Otter, and Roasted (Stouts/Porters I try to keep 2 year round). Then try to plan out my brews for 3 month time frames to keep trips to the LHBS for as needed for specialty grains. I buy 6 smack packs that I keep yeast cultures growing and make starters. I have 12 taps and 16 kegs cold so I brew pretty regularly so it helps to have a plan to keep pipeline stocked. And I mainly stick to 5 gallon batches do some 10 gallon batches that I will split with a few brewers that I have taught, I mostly do Biab with a sparge. I always get 200 gallons before the next year. :D

That's hardcore haha not sure how you have that much time to make and drink all of that

SCBrewster said:
That's hardcore haha not sure how you have that much time to make and drink all of that

Sounds like a lot till you break it down. It's roughly 2,200 beers (12oz) or 6 beers a day,I host brew days and with 3-8 people sampling cuts that number down dramatically

image-609302383.jpg

image-3340095707.jpg

Latest posts

Back