What is Your Favorite Commercial Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
What is your favor commercial stout, Russian, imperial, or oatmeal and do you have a clone recipe for it?

I had the North Coast Old Rasputin at the Yard House in Las Vegas over the weekend. It was painfully hard to consume. I like stouts but this was way over the top.

Old Rasputan lives up to the hype. My favorite is Voodoo More Cowbell Imperial Oatmeal Stout. Maybe one day I can clone it.

Beamish dry Irish stout a few years ago on tap. I haven't seen it since.

I used to live practically across the street from the brewery in Cork. On friday's I'd stop by for a few pints with the guys from the brewery in the taproom. Lots of fond memories of that place.

It's too bad Heineken bought them out and discontinued all Beamish sales outside of Europe. It was a great beer. Good thing I got the real recipe... :D

I like both Samuel Smith's stouts, the Oatmeal and the Imperial. Also, Stockyard makes a really unheralded one, IMO. No clone recipes though.

Beermaker said:
Southern Star Buried Hatchet.

Do you know if they make that in bottles. All I can find is cans, and it tastes like a can. I bet it's pretty good not from a can though.

The Oyster Stout at the Porter House in Dublin is something I'd love to have again!

For something I can get regularly, yeah, Left Hand Milk Stout is pretty righteous. Great Divide Imperial Yeti is right up there too.

+1 on Old Rasputin for top RIS....Mmmmmmmmmm.

For a sweet stout, I'd go with Terrapin Moo Hoo. Liked it so much I've got a self-designed clone 10 days into fermenting!

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

For everyday winter drinking, I'd give my edge to Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. For special occasions...wow, there are just so many great ones: Expedition, Oak Aged Yeti, Old Rasputin, BORIS - I don't think I could pick. My RISs are like my children; I love them all equally.

Old Rasputin is totally not the direction I'd take a RIS, gimme some special B. I like Victory Storm King.

Founder's Breakfast and Bell's Double Cream are pretty baller.

Do you know if they make that in bottles. All I can find is cans, and it tastes like a can. I bet it's pretty good not from a can though.

Puh-leese :rolleyes: Must be a subconcious thing. I have the clone kegged right now and it's awesome.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal stout is very satisfying. I tried a clone of it that turned out to be an colossal disaster. A drinkable beer, but nothing like the original.

Also I like the R&R Oatmeal stout from a local brewery/restaurant here in Flagstaff, AZ called Beaver Street Brewery.

Also, Deschutes' Obsidian Stout will do in a pinch.

Puh-leese :rolleyes: Must be a subconcious thing. I have the clone kegged right now and it's awesome.

I'm sure your *KEGGED* clone is great. It tastes like metal out of a can. I'd totally be willing to put money on a blind taste test. I am rather confident in my pallet. If you can't tell the difference of beer from a bottle or a can, good for you. I can. Although, maybe that bright metallic top note is the yeast, which is what I want to find out. That being said, to try and find out you need a version not from the can....which brings me back to my original question.

The one I had also could have been older or something, so that would explain the flavor. I assure you it tasted like metal though.

I'm sure your *KEGGED* clone is great. It tastes like metal out of a can. I'd totally be willing to put money on a blind taste test. I am rather confident in my pallet. If you can't tell the difference of beer from a bottle or a can, good for you. I can. Although, maybe that bright metallic top note is the yeast, which is what I want to find out. That being said, to try and find out you need a version not from the can....which brings me back to my original question.

The one I had also could have been older or something, so that would explain the flavor. I assure you it tasted like metal though.

Lol. I didn't mean to come across so sarcastic. I forget that I can't type like I talk in person. They do can everything though, so no bottles. I'm sure that the cans we drink here are much fresher than what you receive. The clone has 1.5 lbs of black malt in it. That plus being abused during shipping probably knocks the taste off a bit.

Just had Bell's Double Cream last week. Absolutely loved it. It's really frustrating that the clone recipe out there is so basic when they say they use 10 different malts in the actual recipe.

I'd love to be able to make a beer like that one.

EllisTX said:
Lol. I didn't mean to come across so sarcastic. I forget that I can't type like I talk in person. They do can everything though, so no bottles.

Cheers on that then on both fronts. I also wouldn't be surprised if it sat on the shelf for a while as craft beer doesn't fly off the shelves in my podunk town. :D

I used to live practically across the street from the brewery in Cork. On friday's I'd stop by for a few pints with the guys from the brewery in the taproom. Lots of fond memories of that place.

It's too bad Heineken bought them out and discontinued all Beamish sales outside of Europe. It was a great beer. Good thing I got the real recipe... :D

Best Stout I ever had was a Beamish at the pub across the street from the Beamish brewery. Call it the everything tastes better on vacation effect if you want, it was amazing.

Only one brew under my belt so far, so no clone, but a classic dry stout is on my to-do list.

They have both been said but worth saying again, Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout is lights out and and Founders Breakfast Stout is out this world good (unless you don't like coffee).

Samuel smiths oatmeal, and Rasputin.

Imperial Stouts are really for sipping, preferably with a nice cheese. If you try a RIS when you're looking for something more quaffable, they're difficult

I'm a big fan of the Heavy Seas imperial stout Peg Leg, better than Old Rasputin in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back