Chaws

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaws

Reaction score
I am new to brewing. Not exactly. Years ago the locals made "homebrew". It wasn't called beer, but was a near beer, brewed by mixing a can of Blue Ribbon Malt, two packs of yeast, 5 lbs. of sugar and 5 gals of water. Sometimes fruit or raisins were added. I understand it could be made with molasses instead of malt. What was this. Is it beer? Technically? I made it once or twice. It is very tasty cold, but not like beer. The alcohol content is similar to beer. Can anyone tell me what this substance really is?

Yeah, it was still technically "beer". I first made the same thing back in 1972 when homebrewed beer was still illegal. (You can thank Jimmy Carter for making it legal again). I do remember mine as being the absolute worst beer I ever made. Fortunately I have since learned to make good beer.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Chaws...welcome to homebrewing and the disfunctional community that comes along with it.

Be careful with those casual recipes you're throwing around or you may end up with the same legacy as Cheesefood (Caramel Cream Ale) or EdWort (Apfelwien).

Oh yeah...what was that recipe again...?

Back