Has anyone used BRY-97?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cainepolo12

Reaction score
I picked some of this up today and was curious if anyone has used it yet. I am planning on using it this weekend on a variation of the grapefruit IPA that has been so highly recommended. Also, the guy at my lhbs says that this yeast generates a lot of heat. I don't have a controlled fermenting chamber and I usually ferment in my kitchen. Could I put it in my garage and see if it takes off? If it doesn't I can bring it in, but my last us-05 batch fermented way too hot with tons of esters so I'm trying to limit that. I'm also excited to try my new stir plate I made for ten bucks!

I picked some of this up today and was curious if anyone has used it yet. I am planning on using it this weekend on a variation of the grapefruit IPA that has been so highly recommended. Also, the guy at my lhbs says that this yeast generates a lot of heat. I don't have a controlled fermenting chamber and I usually ferment in my kitchen. Could I put it in my garage and see if it takes off? If it doesn't I can bring it in, but my last us-05 batch fermented way too hot with tons of esters so I'm trying to limit that. I'm also excited to try my new stir plate I made for ten bucks!

Do a search for it. There is quite a large thread on it. In a nutshell, it is slow to start fermentation. Almost everybody saw at least 24 hour lag time before it took off. But when it did, it was a vigorous fermentation.

When I rehydrated this yeast it had a much more pronounced yeasty smell and darker color than other dry yeasts I have used.

My experience was the same, slow start at almost exactly 24 hours lag time but a much longer active fermentation phase lasting almost 6 full days before the krausen started to drop. Not sure about excessive heat generation.

Latest posts

Back