Question about mint.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmubronco03

Reaction score
I've got a batch of cider brewing currently that I plan on adding honey to back-sweeten but I would also like to add a hint of mint. Any ideas on a way to add it? Bruised mint leaves in a hop bag are my current plan but I'm not sure how to sterilize them short of a quick dip in Starsan. Thoughts?

That's why I call he LeBadAss.....

Always rocking the right answers!
Grind and minced down a GANGLOAD load of mint and put it in the boiling water....
Yes, LeB?

My thinking is your mint tea needs to be really really strong minty so that you can taste the flavor through the apple and alcohol.

Hey LeBreton, Do you think there some way that this dude could make an extract out of that mint?

That's why I call him LeBadAss...

He is always rocking the right answers!

I am pretty new at this but I would think that you would want to make a really strong tea!
Grind up and mince a GANGLOAD of mint and put it in the boiling water.... You want a very heavy amount of mint flavor to be able to be noticed with the alcoholic & apple...

LeB, Do you think there's some way to make a mint extract?
As we speak I have taken a gallon of frozen apple juice out of the freezer and I'm waiting for it to thaw about a third because the most sugary stuff is the first to thaw out... Then after I am going to put it on the stove and simmer it until I cook it down into a really sugary syrup and use that to back sweeten and carbonate.
I wonder if there's some way to make an extract out of that mint? I wonder if it would work to boil it in just a little bit of water (very large amount of mint to water) and then cook that down...
Or better yet juice a bunch of mint in a juicer and put that with a little water and bring that to a boil?
[I am pretty much just thinking out loud, I really don't know if any of this is wise advice But there are a lot of guys on this forum like LeBreton who know their sh*t and can really help you out, Just follow their lead and you'll do fine...

Good luck and please report back to this post and let us know how it came out
:mug:

Try simmering the mint in your honey. Even let the honey caramelize a bit. Use lots of mint and strain it out.

Back