Question about Acidulated malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBSCZONER

Reaction score
Hey all. How is everybody doing. Just a quick question

I have always been told that sour beer and wild yeast and what not can ruin plastic equiptment, therefore have an extra set of plastic equiptment if you brew sour beers, which I do. All of my sour vessels are used up at the moment. however i want to brew a Gose.

Gose is an old beer style which uses Salt and Coriander, and requires a slight acidity/sourness to it, achieved by using acidulated malt, but still fermenting with regular ale yeast.

The mash schedule is something like you mash for 60 mins, then add the acid malt and rest for another 45 mins.

My question is will I ruin a Plastic carboy if I use it to ferment a beer that has been brewed using this process, as well as Acidulated malt? Thank you in advance.

Cheers!

These are some odd questions, given that you apparently brew sours already. Where were you told that Gose is brewed with acidulated malt? I agree that one certainly *could* brew Gose this way, but it's certainly not traditional.

Anyway, acidulated malt is no different than the normal bacteria-covered 2-row you use. As long as you bring your wort up to a boil, you don't have to worry about infecting your carboy any more than normal.

Thank you for the answer to my questions. As far as the traditionality of it. i know its not traditional but it is a way to get the acidity im looking for without using sour bacteria or wild yeast. I probably should of made it more clear that this is only the process I am choosing to use. Ive only done two actual sours so far ( kriek and a blackberry ). Havent gone through the whole process yet since its not time to bottle yet. But yea. Thank you for the input. Now i can jump right in and brew it rather then worrying about getting another fermenter

+ Ive never used Acidulated malt before so that is the main reason for my post. Thanks again

Cheers!

people are wary of sharing their normal beer equipment with their sour beers because theyre scared of colonies of wild yeast and bacteria they cant get rid of. i dont think anyone is worried that the acidity of the beer will harm the plastic.

The only reason i was worried about ruining a carboy was because the acidulated malt contains more Lactic acid then even 2 row. lactic acid gives the same flavors pretty much as lactobacillus does. therefore i thought it may harbor itself in cracks and etc.. anyways.. Thank you all. Cheers

yeah you dont have anything to worry about. those plastic buckets dont really retain much flavor. the difference between lactobacillus and lactic acid is that if the former harbors itself in a crack then it can colonize but the later is just a molecule so it will only ever be present in trace amounts.

Im using plastic carboys but pretty much the same as the buckets. ^ that makes more sense of things then anything ive found online. Thank you for the explanation. Why cant everybody just put it this simply and accurately.!? haha Cheers Truebe!

Sorry to revive the old thread, but I'm curious how your Gose turned out. I'm looking to do one in the next few weeks, and I've been going back and forth between using acid malt or lactobascillus. I will be fermenting in a glass carboy. I'm leery to use the latter for the same reasons you mentioned above: I don't want the lacto to harbor itself in the carboy. I also wonder if I can get enough sourness from just lacto.

Latest posts

Back