Apple cider without taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ntense

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I did cider from apple last years, about +- 100 liters. I got around 6% from it, and I racked it for around 6 months.

I don't know why, but it doesn't really taste alot. Like if you added water to apple juice. Also, it's really unsweetened.

What can I do with it?

I ended up doing some 'eau de vie' with a part of it...

You can kill of the yeast and back-sweeten with sugar or apple juice concentrate

or let it sit for another 6 months and the apple taste should come out more.

In cases like this I think it's best to infuse with additives or add another fruit and let it take over. If there is a severe lack of flavor, sugar won't bring it out. Adding concentrate (as beernip mentioned) will help and 100L is a too much to just throw out.

"Flat" hard ciders are normally caused by the apple variety choice. Higher tannin content will provide more body and tart apples will give it a more robust presence.

If you continue to see the same problems in your hard ciders and don't have access to other apples, I would suggest boiling your cider. I would then recommend buying grape tannin and pectic enzyme (both are fairly cheap). This will raise the gravity of your cider by removing water (pectic enzyme will help in clearing after boiling), and the grape tannin will...well it'll add more tannin.

:mug:

I would suggest stabilizing the yeast then using "coffee-house" apple flavoring syrup. I have had rave reviews by doing this exact method. Torani Apple Syrup can be purchased at bulk providers for businesses, like Cash and Carry.

Back