Ouch! Just brewed my first beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meat_Cat

Reaction score
Let's see how it goes. Dropped the siphon, spraying half a pint of wort on the floor. Boiled off more than planned; added tap water to the chilled wort to make up for it. Forgot to check the gravity. Several mistakes, but not bad for my first batch ever. Hopefully it's drinkable.

14 lb grain bill. 13lb 2-row, 1lb cara. (Two bag biab; Texas two step)
.5 oz Nugget, 2 oz willamette, 1 oz fuggle. 60, 45-30, 15, respectively. Did it pseudo-continuously.
WL001.
5 gallon batch.

ahh you go to cambridge for your supplies? or is there another place around here?

All-grain for your first batch? I wish I had been that ballsy! Don't worry, I think the rule is more than 10 things have to go wrong before you worry :mug:

Went to the emporium this time. Super nice staff. I don't know what I'll do in the future. That place is ridiculous to get to from JP.

It's delicious! Piney, spicy, touch of tropics. Big bready malt. Almost medium bodied. Great job to me! I feel so good!

I experienced similar effects on my first partial mash a few weeks ago. I chalk it up to not having enough beer in me ergo I was too nervous about screwing it up.

The second batch went almost perfectly but because I had sufficient quantity of alcohol already in my system the batch took about 6 hours to make because of the excess sugars and hardly any mess.

Grats on first brew!

That's pretty good for starting with AG. There's a lot that can go wrong, and you made a lot less mistakes than many of us did on our first extract batch. Congrats!

Replied before I saw your post on how it turned out. Congrats on making good beer!

Back