F'ed up A Brew Bad Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidM

Reaction score
Man Today just wasn't my day.

Mash went well (temp spot on). Went to transfer wort from MLT to brew kettle after mash out and left the valve open on the brew kettle. Was pumping in the wort when the baby started crying. My set up is in the back of the garage (which makes a big difference from being in the front).

I ran in to check on the little guy and when I got back out wort was on everything. The rug the pool table was sitting on, my tackle boxes, lawn equipment, etc were all sitting in sticky wort.

Had pull everything out and give it a good hose down. I had about 2.5 gallons of a 5 gallon batch sitting in the kettle so I figured I would adjust measurements to lower the ABV content to around 5% instead of the projected 7%. pulled out the hydrometer to take a reading to make the calculations and dropped the SOB. (#&$^#(*&)

So then I did the only thing I could add about 2 gallons pre-boil (w/o) hydrometer reading and begin boil. Added hops on the fly based on imaginary forecast and then added distilled water at the end to try and match color.

Needless to say I have ended up with about 3.5 gallons of very think IPA brew. I took a sample and stored in an air tight container.

Just for shi$s and giggles I bet my self I have an Imperial IPA, that is around 20 SRM and about 70 IBU.

I am wondering how this will turn out.

To be continued.......

Curious to see how it turns out, as I usually am with all of the "my brew got f'ed up" threads. Sometimes they end up great haha. We know one thing, it will be beer.

! thing for certain it will be beer. Its close enough to Christmas so I am still in the mood for surprises regardless of the outcome.

I leave valves open all the time, getting to be a part of the process... Just glad I haven't been away when the trickling starts! At least it will be beer in the end.

Bet you're going to be triple checking your valves for the next six months (or longer) whenever you brew...

I think the little tike could have managed if you were a few seconds late in getting to him, after checking your kettle valves. :rockin:

At least you didn't spill out after it was all done fermenting, have a kick-ass brew, losing most of it onto the floor. That would be cause for tears (no crying over spilled milk, but you can weep over lost brew)...

Back