Overflowing Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been checking out the website for a while now and finally decided to join. I just racked my brewers best IPA to the carboy. I did a little research on adding Pineapple and thought I had it right. I ran 4 pineapples through the juicer, boiled it, cooled it and added it to the carboy after the wort was already in. Everything seemed great until 15 min or so later i noticed foam flowing out of the airlock. I pulled the airlock out and set it in the shower and it's been overflowing for about an hour now. I assume the sugar from the pineapple is creating carbonation and I'm hoping I can just let it go until it stops and put the airlock back on and resume the procedure. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi all. I've been checking out the website for a while now and finally decided to join. I just racked my brewers best IPA to the carboy. I did a little research on adding Pineapple and thought I had it right. I ran 4 pineapples through the juicer, boiled it, cooled it and added it to the carboy after the wort was already in. Everything seemed great until 15 min or so later i noticed foam flowing out of the airlock. I pulled the airlock out and set it in the shower and it's been overflowing for about an hour now. I assume the sugar from the pineapple is creating carbonation and I'm hoping I can just let it go until it stops and put the airlock back on and resume the procedure. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

During fermentation your beer gets saturated with all the CO2 it can handle at that temperature. When you add things like hops or fruit, it provides nucleation sites for CO2 to bubble out of solution. That's all. The sooner you get the airlock on, the better. But until then, you're all good.

Thanks. 18 hrs later now and it has stopped foaming except now the surface of the wort is about 2-3 inches below the rubber stopper instead if 1 inch. Should i boil more water and add it?

Thanks. 18 hrs later now and it has stopped foaming except now the surface of the wort is about 2-3 inches below the rubber stopper instead if 1 inch. Should i boil more water and add it?

Nope. Just leave it to do its thing. All that CO2 pushed out of solution is sitting on top of the beer protecting it. You should be golden.

Latest posts

Back