Can a beer change dramatically in a keg after a few days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.T. Out

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I started drinking my Belgian Dubbel exactly one week ago. And tonight I had my first glass of it since Sunday (4 days ago) and noticed that it was quite different. When first drinking it for the first couple days it was VERY fruity and bubblegummy but tonight it has more of a hoppy flavor with much less of the bubblegum aroma. The bubblegum aroma and flavor havent vanished but they are considerably less.

What happened??? Its not bad at all, its very good infact. It has just changed quite a bit from what it originally was. The carbonation went up a little bit but I cant imagine that that has changed it to this extent.

I'm drinking it at the same temp and everything.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

~S.T. Out

P.S. When I started drinking it a week ago it was carbonated to the desired level. I first chilled the keg in the fridge on Tuesday night (of last week), force carbonated it at 10.5 psi at 37 degrees F. on Wednesday, and tried it out Thursday and it was great.

Anybody at all? Someone must have heard of something like this before. The beer changed a lot in just 3 or 4 days of sitting in the keg. I've never read or heard about this happening. Thanks. ~S.T. Out

Radarbrew,

Okay, good, its just conditioning. Its definitely one of the best brews I've tasted but maybe thats just the 7% talking after having 2 or 3 large glasses :cross:

I'm over in Eastern Oregon, in the foothills of the Eagle Caps.

~S.T. Out

The chemicals that produce the bubblegum flavor can be consumed by the yeast in a rather short time. A little surprising, though, at 37F.

Back