Effing furnace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
got up this morning, and my house is 58 degrees. The furnace's ignitor isn't working, so no heat for me til the HVAC guy shows up.

maybe i'll brew a lager, and make lemonade out of lemons....

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Be thankful that's all that happened. Here at my office, the boiler spewed oil all over the basement. Even after the hazmat cleanup crew left, it still smells like oil in here 3 weeks later. It's nasty.

I love my coal stove! No electricity required, heats the whole house (~1800 sq ft). I also have a pellet stove (does require electricity) that I use in the fall and spring when the temps aren't cold enough for a good draft on the coal stove (above 40 F). My combined fuel bill is typically $500-600 for the whole heating season. I go through 1 ton of pellets and 1.5 tons of coal.

Now I do have to tend to the thing. We call it the "dog". This time of year, we have to go home right after work to "let the dog out" (shake down the ashes) before running any errands. Otherwise it might go out on us and I'd have to re-light it, which takes anywhere from 1-2 hrs depending on how long its been out. Most of that time is just waiting though. It is a little messy with the ashes.

It is very fine though to take your socks off and put them on the stove for 5 minutes and then put them back on your feet. I might try toasting some pale malt on a pan on top of it this year.

Bernie Brewer said:
Thermocouples are used with pilot lights. He has an electric ignitor, so no thermocouple.;)

Yeah, that shows how much I know about HVAC. The only thing I do know is that was our problem last year. $18 dollars later, we're back in business...

I forgot about this thread...

It was the electric ignitor....made of ceramic, so after 10 years, it cracked from all the hot/cold transitions.

Was under $100 to fix, including the service call. They cleaned it all up, and found my chamber had a crack in, which is a carbon monoxide hazzard. and that's not even gonna be bad per their quote.

Lucky guy. My heat pump calved in a flood this summer and it cost me over $2000 to have fixed. What made it worse is that I couldn't get anyone out to do the work and we weathered a summer heat wave with no AC and all the way into a beginning of a Manitoba winter with no heat. I think it was the HVAC company's way of justifying the large expense. When you're begging in the cold, it doesn't matter how much money they want.

Latest posts

Back