Ebay...make an offer, WTF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
Why does someone put up an EBay listing with a Buy It Now and a Make An Offer option, then when you make an offer they reply, "Sorry, I need to get full price for this.".

If you need/want full price, which I assume is the BIN price, why the f--k do you have the Make An Offer option on your listing?

Because they have a lower price they will take in their mind, your offer didn't meet it.

No...that doesn't make sense. They said they had to get full price so apparently no offer is good enough except the Buy it Now price. So, again, why have a Make An Offer option if you're not going to accept anything other than the full/BIN price...unless you think someone might offer more than the BIN price...which would be really dumb for someone to do.

Pshaw...

"I'm only accepting full price" certainly isn't a haggle-inclined seller.

In a couple more hours the seller is going to be wishing he accepted my offer, but it's too bad for him now. I've already found a like item and even though this one is shipping from Alaska the cost including shipping is ~15% less than I offered to the eBay seller.

His price was never really the point though, it was the f-ed up methodology. Make An Offer (but only full BIN price will be accepted). :drunk:

All worked out for the better anyway, at least for me. :ban:

The other thing I hate is.... reserve price! They set a reserve for 120$ and start @ 99 cents.....

If I see a reserve, I will rarely place a bid...

Because they have a lower price they will take in their mind, your offer didn't meet it.

^^

Ive told lowballers the same thing, "Only take full price"
Its to get you to not lowball me as much if you feel like taking another stab at my offer...

With thrift/secondhand buying...theres ALWAYS a lower price for everything

^^^
Not that it matters any more, but I didn't/don't consider a "Make An Offer" offer of 8.5% under the BIN price a lowball offer. Do you?

It's a negotiating tactic. Always get your opponent to commit to a price before you do. Basically, he's hoping someone will offer him more than full price, or at least more than he really wants for it. Anyone who doesn't gets the response you got. It's no risk for him. He waits for someone to pay too much. If no one does before the item expires, he just re-lists it. Or he could just be stupid.

It's a negotiating tactic. Always get your opponent to commit to a price before you do. Basically, he's hoping someone will offer him more than full price, or at least more than he really wants for it. Anyone who doesn't gets the response you got. It's no risk for him. He waits for someone to pay too much. If no one does before the item expires, he just re-lists it. Or he could just be stupid.

This. Someone wants one ASAP and doesn't care about maybe spending more then if they were patient and waited a bit, they might buy it. Although most eBayer's are more experienced and patient.

That's one of the things that really turned me off from Ebay. I really hated how I would bid on an item only to see one random ID continue to bid the item up all on their own with only a few minutes to spare. After the time had expired, I would get an email from the seller asking if I wanted to buy the item at their full price. B.S.

Latest posts

Back