Leave acid cleaner in beer lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscbert

Reaction score
I am cleaning out my kegs using a product called Acid Brite. It is basically same thing as SaniClean from Five Star.
I have diluted as instructions say on the bottle.
Can I leave this solution in my corny kegs and in my beer lines?

I am worried about it eating away at the plastic lines or corroding the stainless steel. It would be nice to keep the sanitizer though until I brew next. I will be brewing in three weeks. Is it safe for the acid solution to sit in the lines and the kegs for that long?

I contacted Five Star Chemicals. This is the response I received from Five Star Rep.

"Yes, you can leave the solution in the lines, but I wouldn't do that. I would purge them with CO2, and then leave them in the CO2 environment."

Didn't say why he wouldn't leave the cleaner in their, but I can purge the lines easily enough with CO2.

Good to know! I usually flush them with pbw, and then fill them.with star san until ready for the next beer. Looks like ill be putting co2 in there afterward instead.

Thanks for writing them for us!

low ph chemicals will eventually pull plasticizers out of the plastic lines and turn them brittle. there is no reason to leave them full of starsan or any cleaner/sanitizer, just empty them when your finished. either flush it out with co2 or just let gravity drain the bulk of the liquid. then there is no problem.

Latest posts

Back