Sour Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I recently brewed my first batch of beer (a belgium beer). it was ok but a bit sour. my guess was that it was not sufficiently sanitized. the question is what wasn't sufficiently sanitized: the fermenter, the bottles, etc. any thoughts and any suggestions on how to avoid sour beer in the future?

Well, some BELGIAN styles often have a sour/tart component, so you may have been fine in the sanitation department.

What style did you brew and exactly which yeast strained did you ferment with?

What style did you brew and exactly which yeast strained did you ferment with?

- at the expense of sounding real dub, the answer is i don't know. i am new to brewing and just used whatever yeast they had in the package.

i don't think it was supposed to taste sour, only b/c it tasted like something was wrong.

It might not be an infection at all, it could be an off flavor. If it really was an infection, it could be anywhere from when you boiled until you drank it. Assuming more than 1 bottel is bad though, it would have to be at some point until the bottling bucket. If you didnt ever notice anything weird growing, my guess is an off flavor of some sort.

Back