Partial batch flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secinarot

Reaction score
I need some help on this one. I tried a jalepeno lager at a local brewpub this week which was fantastic! As luck would have it, the brewmaster was there that day so I had a chat with him about how they brewed it. Basically it's just a basic light lager with a "dry hop" of chopped jalepeno peppers.

I have a batch of BM's Centennial Blonde in the secondary, so I am thinking of using some of that and adding the jalepeno to it. I don't want to make a full five gallons of the jalepeno ale. Now here is my question: Can I rack off 3-4 gallons of the Blonde to bottling but leave a gallon or 2 in the carboy to flavor? Will the beer that's left in the carboy get oxidized with all of that head space? I am only going to leave the jalepeno in there for 48 hours before I bottle it.

Good question, one I've struggled with. If you have a small bucket/bottle you can move it to you'd be better off. If it's done fermenting there won't be a layer of co2 to protect it.

Good idea

When I bottle, would you rack from the jug to the bottling bucket, or carefully pour from the jug to the bucket? I can't envision using my autosiphon from the jug?

Also I was thinking about letting the chopped jalepenos sit in vodka for an hour or 2 in order to "sanitize" them. Is this neccessary?

I would avoid ever pouring anything if at all possible as it would oxidize the hell out of whatever you're pouring. The vodka idea sounds good, shouldn't hurt, and you can drink some jalapeno vodka when you're done! Otherwise you could mix the jalapenos with a crushed campden tablet for 24 hours...

Back