Did I skunk my brew?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppinghog

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to the forum but have been brewing for about a year mainly extract with specialty grains. Anyway I think I violated a cardinal rule this morning on accident.

I'm brewing a black IPA and its currently in its 26th hour of fermenting. Anyway this morning round 6 a.m. I removed the t-shirt that was covering my better bottle carboy exposing it to flourescent light from about 4 feet away for approx. 3 hours. I know I know. Once I realized what I had done I fixed the error but now I'm concerned the damage has already been done. It's still fermenting pretty vigorously but I'm still concerned.

Did I skunk my brew?

Well I smelled the airlock and it didn't smell that skunky if at all. It smelled more like hops than anything kinda like a ranger IPA.

I am still planning to dry hop with an ounce of cascade hops so hopefully that'll mask any skunk smell I might have gotten but not sure about the taste. I used Safale US-05 yeast which I've heard is more forgiving of mistakes but not sure if that matters or not.

Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

I ferment and condition in my basement which is nothing but fluorescent lighting. I've had plenty of beers in carboys down there. I/my brothers left the lights on for 12+ hours. In 3+ years of brewing I have yet to have a skunked batch. You're fine I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just as long as they aren't full spectrum lights and even then I'm sure it's not skunked.

You'll be fine. Fluorescent lights have UV but it's not that intense. Weeks in it might be a problem, hours won't be.

I routinely brew and siphon under fluorescent lamps, next to a window, because I have no alternative. This means I'm passing very thin streams of beer, exposing it to a lot of ambient light. A few minutes of that is probably equivalent to hours of exposure in a bulk container.

Don't worry about it. Do your best to prevent exposure, but you don't have to be paranoid.

Thanks everybody for the responses that makes me feel a lot better I've been using the old shirt trick since then just in case though.

So far it's looking and smelling good and I'm going to pick up a 30 bottle wine cooler on Saturday to use as a fermenter to help dial in my temps. :rockin:

Back