Pulling a vacuum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subliminalurge

Reaction score
So while researching my purchase of a kegging setup I read through a lot of threads about getting CO2 filled. I saw several instances of people mentioning that their place pulled a vacuum on the tank before filling it.

Just how important is this, and what are the benefits?

I can see the obvious difference between getting it filled with liquid vs. gas, but what benefit does the vacuum provide?

Is that something I should concern myself with asking about? Anything else I should be asking about?

(Found a fire extinguisher place that will fill (not exchange) my 10# tank for "somewhere between $15 and $20". Girl who answered the phone couldn't find her price sheet. Sounds reasonable enough to me since it's only a one block detour on my way to work.)

Pulling a vacuum removes the ~14.7 psia of gas (atmospheric pressure) that could otherwise contaminate your CO2. IMHO, it's a safe, sound, and wise practice.

Latest posts

Back