First brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted125

Reaction score
I'm making my first batch this weekend, and have two questions. I'm making an ESB extract kit. First should I do a secondary fermentation or just primary? I'm kegging the beer and didn't know if that was good enough for the secondary/conditioning. And should I use a priming sugar or not in the keg?
Thanks

You're probably going to get mixed reviews on the secondary, but I think the general consensus is there is no need unless you're planning an extra-long fermentation or throwing in some adjuncts (fruit, coffee, etc...). As for the sugar, I haven't done kegging yet, but I've done some reading and you can do sugar or force carb your keg from what I've read. It's a matter of preference and what you have for equipment.

I've alway done a secondary just to get some additional clarification in my beer. The only problem with using the keg for secondary or carbonating with priming sugar in the keg is you will have a lot of sediment fall to the bottom for the dip tube to pick up for your first pour. If you are kegging just carbonate with co2.

Welcome to the greatest hobby!🍻

Thanks for the advice. I haven't made the first batch, but already addicted!

Good luck on the first batch. With an ESB, you do not need to move to secondary. Single vessel ferm is just fine.

As far as kegging is concerned it all depends upon how quickly you want to start drinking it. If you can wait two weeks go ahead and use corn sugar and let it sit. Pull the air release after a few days just a bit to confirm it is carbonating. There should be a release of air. Ready to pour after 2 weeks.

If you want it sooner you can force carb, agitate and cool. Typically you can be drinking in 3 days, but again, additional time with benefit your brew. I say go corn sugar first since it is your first time. Then you can start force carbing later on, it is a bit more advanced.

Good luck!

Back