Quinoa Pale base

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beltenebros

Reaction score
We've been experimenting with all grain gluten free recipes, having the most success with quinoa, but having a lot of problems along the way. We decided to go back to basics and try to construct a decent 'base' to build off of. Our most recent batch has been just that, and I offer it here to you as a good base to build a decent Pale Ale off of. Input and suggestions always appreciated!

5lb Quinoa (sprouted over 3-4 days, dried, then lightly toasted)
3lb Instant Rice

Mash Quinoa and Instant Rice for 60 mins at 150-153F. We used 1.4 quarts water per lb of grain, and added 1.5tbsp Amylase Enzyme. Sparge.

.25oz Centennial (9.2AA) @60mins
.25oz Centennial (9.2AA) @45mins
.25oz Cascade (6.2AA) @45mins
.25oz Cascade (6.2AA) @30mins
.25oz Cascade (6.2AA) @15mins

1lb Dememera Sugar @10mins
4oz Maltodextrin @10mins
.5 Whirlfloc tablet @10mins

Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

OG1.05 FG1.006
33.5IBU

Came out a nice pale ale colour, smooth to drink, taste like bread crumbs, little to no hop flavour, mild hop aroma.

As I said, this isn't a finished product, but a good base to build off of. We're now going to experiment with Toasted Buckwheat, Candi Syrup, increasing IBU's, and using different hops ...

Cheers!

Interesting. I've got a quinoa IPA in primary right now, which used a combination of medium-roasted sprouted quinoa, puffed quinoa, unroasted sprouted quinoa, buckwheat honey, amber candi syrup, and rice-malt "caramel cookies". Hopped generously with columbus, cascade, palisade, and centennial. I took a taste of it last night and it was a bit acidic and not really all that impressive...I'm hoping that it improves with age (it's only a week old). I didn't rely on the enzymes of the quinoa at all, I did my mash using Promalt enzyme blend. I'll be sure to share the results once it's properly bottle-conditioned.

Just in the interest of completeness, is this white quinoa that you used? Do you have another post or something describing your sprouting/malting process?

I did try to malt a small amount of quinoa once, and I've been planning to give it another shot this spring/summer.

Latest posts

Back