Temperature variations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbrewer

Reaction score
I'm brewing an American Pale ale with a OG of 1.042. (4lbs LME & 2lbs DME). I initially started the fermentation in the basement, but realized that the temp was in the range of 63-67 degrees which I though was a little low. I moved the bucket to a slightly warmer room, with a temp between 67 and 73 degrees.

Fermentation started within 12hrs and the bobbles stopped after less than 3 days. Nothing has happened for the last couple of days, so I took a hydrometer reading. The gravity is now about 1.018 after one week. I think that is a little too high and I wonder if it will fall over the next week before I bottle, or if I need to take any action

In addition, does a daily temperature variation of 5-6 degrees in the room impact the fermentation? (I usually turn the heat down at night)

mdbrewer said:
Fermentation started within 12hrs and the bobbles stopped after less than 3 days. Nothing has happened for the last couple of days, so I took a hydrometer reading. The gravity is now about 1.018 after one week. I think that is a little too high and I wonder if it will fall over the next week before I bottle, or if I need to take any action

In addition, does a daily temperature variation of 5-6 degrees in the room impact the fermentation? (I usually turn the heat down at night)
Yes, 1.018 is still a little high to bottle, but it should come down some in another week.

5-6 degrees variation seems a little much, tho probably not enough to cause problems. You could set your bucket in a tub of water...that would moderate the temperature change quite a bit.

mdbrewer said:
I'm brewing an American Pale ale with a OG of 1.042. (4lbs LME & 2lbs DME). I initially started the fermentation in the basement, but realized that the temp was in the range of 63-67 degrees which I though was a little low. I moved the bucket to a slightly warmer room, with a temp between 67 and 73 degrees.

Do me a favor and go over to your fermentation vessel and take your finger and flick the airlock, if theres a bubble that comes out or if the airlock piece or if it is creeping up then its still fermenting. If its still fermenting, be patient daniel son. If its not then repitch a yeast starter.

After another week in primary it dropped to 1.015 (from 1.018 one week ago). I think that is still too high for bottling, and was wondering if I should do "something" or just wait another week?

I would expect the FG to be around 1.010 or so?

mdbrewer said:
After another week in primary it dropped to 1.015 (from 1.018 one week ago). I think that is still too high for bottling, and was wondering if I should do "something" or just wait another week?

I would expect the FG to be around 1.010 or so?
If you're not planning on using a secondary, then it won't hurt to leave it another week in the primary. That said, 1.015 isn't that far out of line for bottling if you're in a hurry.

I don't have a secondary, so I will just leave it another week in primary and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback.

You have to learn to be more patient. One of the things I'm always saying is you can't rush a natural process. It'll be done when it gets done.

Your beer will be better when you wait until the FG is within range of the style you brewed prior to bottling.:D

Back