conversion from pin lock to ball lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue27343

Reaction score
i found some cheap pin lock cornelius kegs but was wondering if there is a way to replace the fittings with ball lock fittings... ball locks seem easier as i wouldnt have to cut apart a socket with a grinder or buy one for $25 and also my local HB supply store carries ball lock equipment....any help would be great.
thanks....

The simple answer that is too short: No. The holes & threads for the plugs are not the same. Plus plugs are expensive.

The pinlocks are no longer cheap if you have to spend money and jump through hoops to convert. You can usually loosen the connectors with a 13/16" open ended wrench although some are a little harder to loosen and you'll have to make the socket.

i have what where pin locks that have been converted to ball locks. work great no problems. they were already converted when i bought them.

At this link theres some talk about how to make a spark plug socket wrench with the help of a dremel tool to make a pin lock tool. I think this is cheaper than converting your pin kegs to ball kegs, $5 for the spark plug wrench, either 13/16 or 7/8 depending on what you got on your keg, a dremel tool(come on, who here doesn't already have one!) with common cutting disk and a workbench vise to hold still while cutting the socket. I have to say that the workbench vise comes in handy for a multitude of projects.
Just mark the socket were it contacts the pin lock posts with permanent marker and cut away until the socket seats deep on the posts. Fun project!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13779

This post goes into greater depth on the variation of socket sizes that are out there...
http://hbd.org/brewsandviews/messages/20001/20407.html?1076129112

Latest posts

Back