Airlocks Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottyh

Reaction score
Hi, first time brewer here...will I ever need to add water to the Airlock during fermentation? Also, a couple of drops of water from the airlock got into the carboy when i was tapping the airlock. Maybe I slightly overfilled the airlock? Thanks for any advice.

You should use vodka, starsan, or distilled water in your airlock. I wouldn't worry about the few drops though.

Hi, first time brewer here...will I ever need to add water to the Airlock during fermentation? Also, a couple of drops of water from the airlock got into the carboy when i was tapping the airlock. Maybe I slightly overfilled the airlock? Thanks for any advice.

Welcome Scott.

I'd think you'd only have to add liquid to your airlock if it's an extended fermentation (> 5-6 weeks or longer)

No worries on the water into the carboy. I use water. Others use starsan or vodka. YMMV.

I use cheap vodka in my airlocks and I found that I did have to top them back up to the "fill" line again after 1-week of fermentation. I live in Florida so not sure if the climate here has something to do with it.

Back