BeerSmith 2 question re: hop-stands / aroma steep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBromanite

Reaction score
So I've been using BeerSmith for several months, and am getting most of it down pretty well. My question of the day is how to classify hops at the very end of the boil. The way I'm classifying the hops right at flameout is "Boil 0 min". I think this is the way to do it?? This seems to add zero IBU's (although I'm skeptical it's literally zero since the wort is still basically boiling at the point of killing the heat...but I'm not too concerned with that).

I'm then doing what I think is referred to as a hop-stand :drunk: (waiting until the wort cools to around 180, and then throwing in more hops). I've classified this addition as "Aroma Steep 30 min." What I'll be doing on brew-day is letting the wort cool to 180ish, then throw in my last hop addition (no dry-hopping on this batch), and letting them steep in the hot wort for 30 min before chilling to pitching temp.

Have I classified these 2 additions correctly (flameout as "boil 0 min" and hop-stand as "aroma steep 30 min")?

Thanks in advance from anyone with more experience on these points!

Who knows if we're right and the numerical effect, but that's exactly what I do as well. Flameout is a zero minute addition, and my hot stand under 170 is aroma steep.

Yeah, it seems somewhat logical how I've put it in (to me at least). Funny thing is, on the main recipe "design" page, it puts the "aroma steep" step before the "boil o min" step - which had me confused. But when I look at the actual "brew-steps" page to print out, it does put the aroma steep addition last, which makes more sense. Not sure why this is flipped under the main design tab?

I'm really just wanting to get my recipes and brew-instructions as accurate (and consistent) as possible. I write all my brew-day and tasting notes on the brew-steps print-out, and it's nice to have accurate notes to look back on later when trying to tweak or replicate a recipe.

I'm actually wondering if I should put the flameout addition as "boil - 5 (maybe 10) min.), at least when I'm not cooling right away, because I'm sure there has to be at least a few points worth of IBU's being added at the flameout addition, while I let it cool gradually on its own down to 180 for the hop stand. ?? Don't know if anyone does this, to "trick" the software into giving it a couple IBU's from the flameout addition (which is purely my best educated guess/assumption as to what is actually being contributed to the brew...says the relatively noobie brewer)??

Back