Using Pale and Pilsner as Base Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BendBrewer

Reaction score
I want to try making a Blonde type of Ale. A 'fake' pilsner per say.

I have 40 pounds of American 2-row. I don't have to use it but heck, it's paid for.

Has anyone experimented with using a grain bill comprised of 1/2 American 2-row and 1/2 German or Canadian Pilsner Malt?

I can't LAGER so was going to use WY1007 and let her rip at as low of a temp that I can.

Thanks.

I'm not sure I understand your question. I've not done lagering, I'm aware, though, of the general difference between ale and pilsner malts... or I think I am anyway :) The pilsner malts are lighter colored so you can get those really light pilsners/lagers, whereas ale malts tend to be just a bit darker. I've heard people get close to lager quality by doing ale yeasts at low temps and then cold crash for a long time before drinking, this clarifies the beer and reduces chances of any stronger esters common in ales that lagers don't have. I say go for it. I also hope I'm not wrong on that... but that's what I understand anyway.

Here's the plan so far

5.25 Gal batch
7 Gal Boil Volume
90 minute boil

5# American 2-row
6# Canadian Pils
.5# Cara-Pils

1 oz - Saaz 60 min.
1 oz - Saaz 30
1 oz - Saaz 10
1 oz - Saaz 0

Not even sure what I am shooting for besides a light crisp clean summer drink. I guess that's what I'll get but am open to changes if you have any other ideas.

BendBrewer,
That sounds like a nice cream ale.

I am curious about the IBU's with all the hops, but Saaz tends to be lower in the alpha acids.

Back