Home Brew supply store in Tupelo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maf58d

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few of you knew this was coming, but didn't know when. I had a couple extentions put on my current job for a total of 3 months, but will be finished for sure on July 31st. I hope my store location will be ready for me by August 1st, so I can get in and make my shelves in preparation for my first stock order. If any of you that will be shopping with me have any special requests for this first order, let me know by the end of this month. I hope to be open for business by mid August. ---Mark F.---

Mark, this is a late reply, but I look forward to hearing about your storefront. Do you plan on carrying White Labs?

Hey Ron, great to hear from you. Yes, I will have white labs, but will limit what I stock at first to some of the more common ones. I have been delayed getting into my store because of work still going on in it, so I have not submitted my first order yet. If there is a strain you want to use soon, let me know, and it will be in on first order. Looks like near end of the month. ---Mark F.---

For an update on what is happening with store, power was finally turned on, with location pretty much ready. Got the call Tuesday morning power was on, have been building shelves for stock, had my mother drive down hill to my workshop Tuesday afternoon, to tell me their house was on fire. Grabbed my fire extinguishers and ran up the hill, but was already going through the roof. Used garden hoses to slow it down till fire department got there, but still watched most all the second floor of their house burn away. Spent all of today in salvage and clean up, and who knows how much more. I want to get my store open as soon as possible, but some things still come first. Just letting any who are wondering know what my latest delay is. ---Mark F.---

Mark, I am terribly sorry to hear about your mother's home. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Thanks Ron, It has been a rough few days, but with a lot of work with family and friends helping, it doesn't look near as nasty any more. But still has a long way to go to try and save the main downstairs structure. Don't know how many thousands of gallons of water were pumped into it, but it was muddy all the way down the hill, and way to much is still in the walls and insulation. Would not wish this on anybody. keep us in your thoughts and prayers. ---Mark F.---

I'll offer free labor in your store to help you get ready (yes, I'm serious). I'm pretty close and want a LHBS so bad I can taste it.

Thanks uatuba,
I've still got a way to go before I can get back on store, but I'll post here when I get to the point when I might use some help there. Have to get going over to my folks now, taking off the remnants of the roof so we can tarp it, and getting the rest of the wet or damp sheet rock out so as to finish drying out downstairs. ---Mark F.---

Things are moving along ok,(slow, but ok.) My first order came in this afternoon( actually yesterday afternoon now) and I have been going through all of it, pulling it off the pallets checking it off for the last 8 hours till now. Still have lots to do, but hope to open next week, but am committed to roof work on my folks house this weekend. Will see how it all goes. Took a shot of one pallet load inside earlier. ---Mark F.---

PA100004.jpg

Hey Ron, I am looking forward to getting all these chores done and getting this store open, and finally getting flow coming in rather than just going out. Am also looking forward to meeting you and all the other home brewers and wine makers in the area. Will post again when I have more. ---Mark F.---

The address is 1295b, North Eason. That is 1/2 mile south on the Auburn road exit, exit 90 on highway 78, (soon to be I 22). Phone # is 662-844-5000. ---Mark F.---

Just drove by the store on my way to get my CO2 bottle refilled. Looking good (no I didn't look in the window...looked like someone was there).

Also...the place I went for my first CO2 fill-up charged me $25 the first time. This time? $6.

Same place. ???

I am very thankful though since my CO2 was wasted due to a faulty pressure relief on my never used regulator that I ordered from Midwest (the dial face was also bent).

If I was there when you came by, you were welcome to come in. I was down there today, Monday, all day getting ready to open. I should not be there Tuesday because I am going to try and finish my folks roof tomorrow. My current outlook is to be open for business Friday and Saturday. ---Mark F.---

co2 filling is hopeful for the future, but I am doing all I can for now to get open. I have been successful in every thing I have done up to now, but this starting a store is much more complex than expected, and working on my folks home at the same time has left me feeling overwhelmed often. But I think I am over the hump and looking forward to some sedate normalcy soon. (sometimes I may ramble on a bit). With some input from you who will shop with me, I hope to soon have everything you would want to purchase from me. God bless. ---Mark F.---

I stopped by the store today and chatted with Mark, and picked up a couple of supply items that I was low on. I enjoyed talking with him, he's a really nice guy.

I hope all the homebrewers in the area, and hopeful ones, will support the store. It's a much-needed resource for the brewers in the area.

Best of luck Mark.

I got my BS at MSU in the early 2000's. My LHBS was in NOLA. I would have killed for a store in Tupelo. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor!

:mug:

Mark, the store looks great! Glad to see you are finally getting your doors open, I know it has been a long road. I have a bunch of stuff going on through the weekend due to being out of town last week but I will come by with that register and let you take a look at it if you are still interested. I think I even know where the manual is for it. I can't wait to get some stuff from you and start a new hobby.
Talk to you soon

Mark, the store looks great! I'm going to try plan a special trip up there in the very near future!

Thanks guys, I will be open Monday 10 am to 6 pm. Tuesday I will be closed. Wednesday and Thursday, 10 to 6. Friday, 11 to 7. Saturday, 9 to 3. May adjust later, but see how this goes. If anyone has hours that do not allow you in at them times, give me a call. Thank you all. ---Mark F.---

Mark, congrats on the LHBS! I'm from New Albany (currently in San Diego on active duty) and there was never anything like this around. The beer scene out here is really amazing. I'm just glad to see good ol' Mississippi catching up. I have a lot of friends in Tupelo and New Albany that are always asking about the beer I make. I'll see if I can send some business your way.

Titan88 said:
Mark, congrats on the LHBS! I'm from New Albany (currently in San Diego on active duty) and there was never anything like this around. The beer scene out here is really amazing. I'm just glad to see good ol' Mississippi catching up. I have a lot of friends in Tupelo and New Albany that are always asking about the beer I make. I'll see if I can send some business your way.

Can't wait to come north for some supplies!

Congrats on opening up your LHBS! I live in Tupelo, and have been ordering all my equipment and ingredients online - it'll be so nice to have a local shop here!

A couple of updated shots of store. ---Mark F.---

Looking great! Is homebrewing really that big in Tupelo? I remember people liking beer back home, but never remember anyone wanting to make it.

Hey Titan88,
There are more in the area than I previously thought, which is good for me, and I hope to get more into it that may see it as an enjoyable hobby, but did not know of the quality and quantity of products out there for making excellent beer and wine at home. --- Mark F.---

I would like to thank everyone who has shopped with me. I have run my numbers for my first full month, (November), and it was good enough to cover fixed expenses and leave enough for a wage of $2.15 an hour for the whole month.
Doesn't sound like much, but was more than I was expecting.
Again, thanks to all. ---Mark F.---

Hey Titan88,
Still going along ok.
Enough sales to cover costs, but not very much over.
I have been open 6 days a week since thanksgiving, but I am about to go back to 5 soon, so as to get other chores done that I have had to let go for lack of time.
---Mark F.---

Apparently, craft beer has gotten quite popular in my hometown (New Albany) since my departure in 2007. Maybe you could put a free ad on the Buy, Sell, Trade page on FB to attract some business. I think this September will make it the 4th year New Albany has hosted it's annual "Tallahatchie on Tap" beer festival where breweries as far away as North Coast (CA) and Rogue (OR) have came and served beer. Just a thought. Glad to hear you are at least in the black.

Back